Find
Notify
Tools

Browning "3 Shot"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
I also have a question re the "Hump-back Browning". I have [or had] a Browning 16 ga 3 shot. Looks exactly like an A5 except for shorter forearm and mag tube. The original forearm was stamped with "3 Shot" - it cracked after I had the chamber opened from 2 9/16 out to 2 3/4 - was a bit surprised when my smith was able to procure a new forearm but it was not stamped "3 shot." This little gun has a 28" barrel and a raised, solid rib. It is my first born grandson's gun when he is old enough to use and appreciate it. My father bought the gun new sometime in the thirties and it has killed a ton of dove, quail and pheasants not to mention a lot of ducks over decoys.
Anyone have any info available re these odd Browning's and were they made in other gauges than 16.?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3 shot 16ga were made from 1934-38, special order after that. The Matt Eastman book states that the A-5 could be ordered as a 2 shot in all grades. The reason for the 3 shot guns was in response to the new fed law on waterfowl mag capacity. I sdaw one of the 3 shot guns In AZ around 1975 it had been opened to 2.75 and had the old style saftey in the front of the trigger guard.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote