New
Find
Notify
Tools

PO Ackley Rifles
 Login/Join

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Can anyone help me find out more information ona rather unique rifle I recently acquired?

Description:

98 Commercial Mauser CLONE (completely LEFT HANDED, not a conversion)

Marked "PO ACKLEY" SALT LAKE CITY UTAH on rigfht side rail

All steel hardware, highly mirror polished blue

"made in Japan" on bottom of front ring

Serial 62XX

"308win" on 25.5 inch heavy straight tapered barrel.

Non-mauser (timney style) slide safety adjustable trigger (saftey on left side)

Stocked in a light colored walunt prone-style target stock with 13.5" LOP, target rail inlet in bottom of wide beavertial forearm, glass bedded (100% contact in barrel channel)

Sights: Lyman 48 WJS rear receiver sight with target knobs, Lyman 77 front globe.

One aquaintance suggested that it is one of a very few Miroku made 98s made for PO Ackley in the late 50s-early 60's and that only approx 150 actions were made, only approx 50 being left handed.

Web searches reveal nothing....

Any info would be appreciated.

God Bless Molon Labe

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Folks,

I just now someone out there has more information on this rifle!

I'd appreciate some feedback!

God Bless

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Andrew

There is a book written by Wayne van Zwoll called Bolt action rifles.
He did not write much about this action because he says other than the bolt shape it is the same as a Santa Barbara or centurian action.

Saying that it is basicly a 98 action.

I do prefer the swept back look of the bolt though.

cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Cal 30;

No, I don't think so, it is a mirror image completely left handed action, not a left-stocked rifle or a left bolt handle conversion. SB or Centurian did not make left handed actions, did they?

I do not have persmissions to post pictures, but again, this is a left handed commercial mauser clone. Even the bolt threads are left handed....

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I dont believe that they did...

The book does indeed mention a qty of 200 produced before bankruptcy.

There were 150 right hand and the 50 left hand.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
The info you stated is correct. I also have one of these actions in LH. My rifle is in 30-06 with a laminated stock. It is a great rifle and very accurate. I don't know much more about them than what you have already stated. I asked a while back about the value of these rifles and could not get a solid answer. One would think with only 50 made they would be worth something...but to be honest I am not sure many people know they even exist.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Roscoe;

Do you know if your rifle was made as it stands by PO Ackley or did he sell actions?

I owuld assume if Ackley made the guns himself, then these are indeed probably collectible and probably the only true LH Mauser copies out there.

God Bless

PS I'm in Central MO-near Lebanon/Fort L Wood

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
I have no idea who made my rifle...there are no other marks than the PO Ackley on the action. If I had to guess, I would say it was made in the Ackley shop. The fit and finish is very good and the stock style looks like something that was done back in the 60's.

I feel lucky to have found this one!

Regards,

R

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I see Craig Bodington got one of these and built a 264 WM with it. He wrote an article about it in G&A.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

In "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas in Chapter 22 ,Part IV is a description of your action. In the early 70's PO Ackley arranged for a firm in Japan to make a very close copy of the latest FN Mauser. A true left hand as well as the normal right-hand model. As stated above 150 rt. and 50 lt. were made before bankruptcy took over the Japanese firm. The type of steel is unknown but they were machined from forgings rather than investment castings. All parts appear to be well made and finished.
Theres more but it basically a description of the trigger, trigger guard and bolt handle.
HTH
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a PO Ackley Mauser left hand
action in 270 Winchester.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I t is a Santa Barbara action made in Japan.

Cal30

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Follow-up on teh PO Ackely LH rifle that stated this topic:

Made by Harry McGowen in Nov 67 for customer no. 1418, invoices were lost in a fire. Barrel was probably a PO Ackley,or possibly a Douglas as McGowen had just started barrel making late in 67. It has a 1/12 inch twist, the standard for 308s then.

If any of you have a PO Ackely actioned rifle, if Harry McGowen made it it up, there will be his name and invoice number on the underside of the barrel -along with the date of manufacture etc.

Harry (still making rifles in Illinois with his sons) stated the actions were top quality, but bolt handles usually had to be re-worked due to poor camming cuts, but otherwise very strong and easy to use.
God bless