THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Winchester Model 70 Value -- circa 1971, .338 Win Mag

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 Value -- circa 1971, .338 Win Mag
 Login/Join

posted
I came across a decent looking Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag in a local shop. It's serial number reflects a 1971 date of manufacture. There is a Redfield 3x9 scope of the same vintage on this rifle, which doesn't much interest me. The bore is in very good shape. I would use the gun for hunting elk and larger N.A. game, not for collecting. Assuming I discover no hidden flaws other than the few minor cosmetic issues I can see so far, could someone give me their opinion of a fair price for this package? Thank you.

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've seen several m70's of various calibers in pawn shops, gun shops.... seems the owner's really think they're worth big $$$... but they sell for $350 up....the bigger calibers demand a certain buyer....these will sit on the shelf even longer....i picked up a stainless m70 crf in .300 rum for $575... nib, plus a box of remington ammo...it had been on the shelf for about 5 months, nobody wanted that caliber....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if 1971 was still in the era of impressed checkering and the rain-gutter barrel channel, or if it was after they went to machine-cut checkering and a little closer tolerences. If the former, it will bring a little less, and the latter should command a little more.

Jimatcat is right about the heavy calibers IN HIS PART OF THE WORLD. However, if you are in the mountain states or Northwest, the .338 is extremely popular and a quick seller.

If you don't want the Redfield, it will probably bring you $100 in resale if it's in good condition. $500 should be fair on the package in good/excellent cosmetic condition. Subtract $50 if impressed checkering.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I "visited" this Model 70 in .338 Win Mag again. On closer inspection, I really could not find one single cosmetic flaw with this 1971 era gun. The wood was without a scratch and the bluing was literally perfect. This is as close to a new-in-box 36 year old firearm as I have ever seen. It has the skip line checkering pattern (cut checkering I believe). The bolt serial number matches the receiver serial number. The shop's asking price (it's in S.E. Michigan) is $395 with a Redfield 3x9 that is also in flawless cosmetic condition, complete with flip up lens covers. Now, for the bad news -- the stock has been shortened and fitted with a Kick-Eez recoil pad to a LOP of only 12 1/2". With my long arms and long neck, I favor a LOP of 14" on my hunting rifles. Based on this info, what advice might any of you have? Given the otherwise 99.99% "as-new" condition of this rifle, is it worth acquiring at this price and treating it to a nice piece of walnut down the road someday? Thank you.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops! The $395 was sounding good until you got to the abbreviated stock. The "skipline" checkering sounds like the impressed checkering model. But since the stock is not usable for you, this is somewhat irrelavent.

Is it worth a nice piece of walnut? Well, hard to say. Although the post-64 push feed actions and barrels were of decent workmanship, I believe that the trigger guard/floorplate is aluminum. Restocking (if you do the work yourself) will cost you $100-200 (or more) for modest wood and materials, and much more if you have it done professionally or want nicer wood. And you still have a push-feed Winchester.

As a shooter, it's worth the $395. My advice would be to look for a cheap synthetic stock or just slab on a block of wood to extend the existing stock and shoot it as-is.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if you want it, ive got a take off beater stock...it has some scratches and a few dings.... it originally came off of a 7remmag... stock has the crossbolts in it... its about 1977-78 vintage....no pics, but's still uncut and has a recoil pad....i'll ship it for $65...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its just for your hunting use, and appearances aren't important, lengthening the stock with some wood or a piece cut off of a broken or discarded stock is a relatively easy chore and costs nothing but the glue and time.

I'd offer them $350 and go up to $375.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote