Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1895
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone help me out on this one? I have a buddy who has a Winchester model 1895, NICKEL barrel, in .35 WCF. It has Lyon & Lyon Calcutta on the side of it. I need to know what it's worth. It's probably 70%, no pitting, great bore, etc. Thanks in advance.

Glen A. Vaughn

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, Afghanistan and Iraq | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAVaughn:
It has Lyon & Lyon Calcutta on the side of it.

Exactly where is this writing located and how is it applied?

I assume that you mean that the barrel is marked "Nickel Steel"? Or do you mean that the barrel is nickel plated?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, it is marked on the right side of the reciever, and yes, it does say Nickel Steel.I had assumed it was nickel plated as there is no blue anywhere to be found. The Lyon and Lyon Calcutta is either engraved or stamped into the side, with flowing type lettering.
I have some photos, but not very good ones. I can get more soon, probably within a week or so. Thanks for any input, Glen.

Glen A. Vaughn

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, Afghanistan and Iraq | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE NICKLE STEEL REFERS TO THE COMPOSITION OF THE BARREL STEEL. THEY WERE NOT NICKLE PLATED.

IF THERE IS NO BLUE ON THE BARREL THE GUN IS PROBABLY LESS THAN 20 % ORIGINAL CONDITION.

405 WCF IS A MUCH MORE DESIRABLE CALIBER THAN 35

MOST LIKELY THE LYON & LYON NAME WAS ENGRAVED ON IT. THEY WERE A SPORTING GOODS SUPPLIER DURING THE DAYS OF THE RAJ AND SOLD A VARIETY OF ITEMS.

MOST INDIAN RIFLES & GUNS WERE POORLY TREATED AND SADLY MAINTAINED. USUALLY THE STOCKS ARE SOAKED IN ANIMAL FATS TO KEEP OUT THE WORMS.

SOME PICTURES WOULD HELP TO DETERMINE A VALUE, BUT IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE TOO MUCH. TOM

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote