Find
Notify
Tools

Tough SOB's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
First session at the range today, with a newly aquired 577/450 artillery carbine. This one has a VG to EXC bore with no rust or pitting. Prior to shooting it I stripped the action and the internals were still blued/polished.

Shooting a 6lb, 45cal rifle with a steel buttplate and bare shoulder and 500gn bullets ain't painless. After 5 shots, I quickly determined that the reason it probably had not been fired for a century or so was that we as a society have turned into a bunch of bloody wimps. Finished the day after 25 rounds but tonight my shoulder looks like it's had a love bite from a flamin elephant seal!

Moved on to the 50/90 Sharps and after another 10 rounds, I had to stop from nose bleed. The aperature sight has run a crease almost and 1" long up the center of my nose and it was dripping blood off the end.

Now I'm happy that I repulsed a sneak attack by the phantom Zulu's and downed 10 Bison for the day, but I came away with the thought in my mind that those hunters and soldiers of last century must have been awefull tough SOB's

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a two-way range you don't notice a little thing like recoil, you just wish the hole you are making through the bad guy was about 2' bigger! Or better yet, just vapourised them! (I kept hoping for the same effect as I used to get with the 270 Win on rabbits). Those steel buttplates come in awfully handy for smacking bad guys over the head. And that 2' long bayonet isn't something to laugh at, either.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote