New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Remington nuts on this forum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you know Remington at all, you will know that Mike Walker is Mr. Remington. He is the father of the 721-722-700, and the 40x. Mike also patented button rifling, 222 cartridge, 25-06, 223, and actually did most of the development work on the 308 Winchester. Mike also started the Remington Custom shop.
This makes me pretty excited to acquire 2 of Mike's personal rifles that he considered his favorites. The mod 37 Rimfire is shown in a previous post below. This is photos of his favorite deer rifle. It is a 722 manufactured in 1948. It has been well taken care of. He did design the 700style trigger and feeling mine tells me he knew how to adjust it. The caliber is 257Roberts and the barrel is an uncataloged 22". The scope is a Lyman Alaskan with side mounts in 1.5X. He said the managers had a stack of wood for their personal use and this is where the wood came from. I hope that you enjoy the photos.

Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun except for that abortion of a sidemount! Oh well they di what they could with what they had in the day.

I hate the looks of the super tall chunk of metal on G&H equipped M70's as well. Function over style in those days!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of .Dirty-.30
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures!! Interesting that the scope is made with the adjustments so far forward as to mount both rings behind. Which i'm not all that familiar with many scopes.

If you shoot a Marlin, you should be on Marlinowners.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch is that ones serial # inside marked ??I have an early one that does not have the S,N, marked on the outside of the receiver its marked in the left side bolt race.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat old rifle. Well how's it shoot?

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was terribly disappointed Remington didn't come out with a special edition of the Remington .222 in 2010. It would have marked the 60th year anniversary. I had called in 2007-2009 to remind and I got nothing...

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Butch

Nice old 722 you have and nice history as well.
I have a 721 in 3006 that I consider as classic as my old model 70s and 54s

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote