New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre '64 Featherweight 358 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A local shop has a 358 Pre 64 Winchester barreled action. The barrel has been cut to 20 inches the box inside the action does not seem to fit properly and the action is not as smooth as a Pre 64 should be. What is something like this worth?? I love the idea of a Pre 64 barreled action and try and find an original stock but I do not know where to start with an offer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tim
a totally unfired perfect 358 is worth 3800.

a hacked action, of a parts gun? myself, i wouldn't go a cent more than 400, if the action was 90+%.

a pre-64 is nice nice... but the new short action classic IS a short action (the pre-64 isn't) and handles gas better. IMHO, dollar for dollar, the new classic is a better gun... but, then again, I wouldn't pay 1000 for a new NIB 308 action, but I would think about it for a pre-64 NIB 308 action.

jeffe

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Tim,

Is the barrel an orginal Winchester in .358? What is the serial # on the action. Don't give the exact #, just put X's at the end. We can look in Rules book to see if the serial # range is correct for that caliber.

How nice is the work on the barrel shortening? Is there a front sight on the barrel? Anything else about the gun? Will the seller let you take it to a smith for a check over?

There are Winchester stocks out there that will fit it.

A lot depends on the answers to the above questions but the value may be around $450 and up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, there seems to be quite a few of these on the market right now. Last weekend there was a near perfect one at our local gun show and it had a price of 1800.00. I was thinking real hard about it, went back to talk with the fellow and it was gone. [Mad] [Mad] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Rules book say's .358 M 70' were made from 1955 thru 1957. That rifle pictured does have a 60's era S/N and look to the stock.

Collectors will pay what collectors will pay but that rifle does not look like it's worth what they are asking.