New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at finishing two Win 70 stocks that I've carved from blanks. I'm just curious the best finish to use. I've sanded down to 220 grit and wondering the best finish to go with from here. I've heard some people start with linseed oil right off and sand down, other people start with watered down tru oil and sand down eventually getting to straight tru oil after 2 or 3 coats, and I've heard some like to seal the wood before finish is applied. I'm going for high gloss finish so I know I have a lot of work to do before they're sent for checkering.

Charles F. Bartlett

Posts: 80 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: 02 April 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tru-Oil is modified Urethane and works well as a filler or finish. Sand to 320 and wet sand every 3 coats until pores are full of mud rubbed in with finger circles then let cure a day or two and fine sand 400 with grain and wipe as you go, when it looks right polish with wood polish and soft pad to finish up...this is for the beginner and basic application that's pretty hard to beat as is. Read the directions and play with it, if its not working right wet sand it and start over..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post