New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thunderhead 125
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone still use thunderheads broadheads?With all the new heads out i justwondered.anyone ever have any trouble with them?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackbearhunter, I almost exclusively use Thunderheads, and have for around 25 years! The exception would be one backup bow I have set up with really heavy aluminum shafts and innerloc heads, as well as one of my 'bakcup quivers' with innerlocs as well. Otherwise i use snuffers or zwickeys with my recurve and cedar or 2215's.

I have never had any problems with Thunderheads, and killed my first deer this year with a Thunderhead 100 on an easton Carbon-aero 400, just perfect results.

A lot of folks say they don't like the 'O' ring, but I actually like it, it makes it really easy to tune your broadheads in that last minute tweak, and get the blades lined up just like you want.

You may know this, but the original NAP heads--(the Razorbacks and Thunderheads) were tested in the Lockheed 'air tunnel' in Marietta Georgia and we were some of the first to see Thunderheads back in the day. I've always been impressed with the quality and design of NAP products.

Straight shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Don,i always thought the thunderheads flew streight as could be.They never have let me down!Why fix something thats not broke? thumbi thought i might be the only one still loyal.Love those snuffers also. clap

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
All I use is Thunderheads, 125's. I've been very pleased with them. I used them when I shot a compound bow, for the last 15 years I shoot a recurve, I only use Thunderheads. They fly perfect for me, really, they seem to fly better then the practice tips.

I will not be changing anytime in the future!

As the saying goes, "Don't change something that's working!" thumb

yankees yankees yankees

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use thunderheads thumb for hunting and muzzy's(got them very cheap) to practise with. I took an Eland cow 3 weeks ago with my switchback 70# and had total pass throughs with the thunderheads. She was pregnant and it took 2 heart shots and 3 lung shots to bring her down. The thunderheads did their job but she would not run or lie down to die. I had to pull her down with a rope an hour after a centre heart shot after which she died. The lung shots only nicked the lungs as I was not aware that she was pregnant and that the lung had alraedy moved forward to make room for the calf, the owner assured me that his bull was to young to do the job. This was an eye opener and my worst experience ever Frowner. I would rather be charged and caught by one of the big five.

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have 6 w/ brand new blades raring to go. I only use them if I'm hunting game tougher than whitetails (Boar). They are some of the easiest to tune, very true heads. I have not had many problems w/ the THs planing like other fixed heads.

I swithced to expandables several years ago for whitetails and I'm not planning on ever going back to fixed blades. The expandables give me much shorter trails and much more blood due to their larger cutting diameter.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have killed 5 bison with Thunderhead 125's (from a crossbow). They worked flawlessly.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used alot of heads throughout the years & thunderheads rank somewhere between the the bottom & the skum on the bottom of the barrel.[sorry guys] I have killed more than 200 deer in 26 years of bowhunting & have experimented with many heads.Muzzy until 2001 was a great flying & easy to tune head.When Sullivan industrys stopped doing the machine work for muzzy I started to have grouping problems.Sullivan industrys started to produce their own heads called innerloc.The 2 blade model had field point accuracy & the 4 blade was o.k but with a little experimenting turning the 4 blade into a 2 blade that was & is an awesome flying head with great penetration.I have also been very impressed with the g5 85 grain cut on contact.Good flight & good penetration.Broadheads can be finicky at distances over 50 yds.To reallt check on flight performance go back to 80 yds for practice & check your arrow flight.If your thunderheads fly like darts like the others i mentioned then i would be impressed