THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    What are your thoughts on scoping a bow?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your thoughts on scoping a bow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Acceptable? Unacceptable? Sporting? Not sporting?

Just curious.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because of the ballistic drop within the ranges we generally talk about(30 yards or less) unless we are tlaking about some of the current flamethrowers, the precission of the point of aim would cause some concerns to myself.
If there were a scope with multiple horizontal gradients that were individually adjustable, and a low 2x or so power, that would be worth looking into.

My 2 cents

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. if you always shoot the same yardage. It might get "knocked off" easily.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with it if that is what the shooter wants. A few moons ago when one of my brothers got his first bow we put a 2X bazooka style optical sight on it and it turned out to be more hassle than any benefits you got from it. He (and I) are still shooting with pins. Also, I wonder how you can compensate for different distances with one.

Oooh boy, only about 1 week to go!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set up one of those HHA Optimizers with a BSA red dot. I've been shooting it for a while and I have to say that I really like it as it is very accurate. The only problems have been that the size of the scope and its clearance on the bow have limited the range of elevation that I can adjust to and the shock of the bow initially caused some screws to loosen, but it did not result in a shift in impact. Like most of the HHA sight frames, elevation is adjusted by simply unscrewing a lock washer and sliding a pointer to yardage set-marks that you have arranged for your bow. I leave it set to about 20yds and just hold under or over slightly. It's unlikely that I'll take a shot over 20yds anyway.

I think that your normal peep arrangement is probably more forgiving for most people as you must be extremely consistent when using a scope, and with the scope there is no additional gradients, but once you've become accustomed to it, IT ROCKS. I may eventually try one of these HoloTech scopes/sights.

Two more days until showtime.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is the performance in low-light conditions?
Do you shoot with a peep?

Thanks and good luck this weekend Aquavit !

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

You don't need a peep with this scope, just a consistent anchor point and because it has an illuminated dot which is projected to your eye rather than to the target, you can shoot it in almost complete darkness. There are 11 different brightness settings. Basically, if you can make the target out, you can accurately shoot it.

Thank you, and good luck to you as well!

<DOATargets>
posted
Aquavit
I have used a scope in the past and really liked them. I found that over time I was drawn back to pins but still use it on the 3d range. Let me know if you use this on Saterday because I got one the first time I used a scope.
Great luck to you( better than skill )
DOA
ps. I just had a foot operation!! Great timing huh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post indeed. I predict that scopes will become more and more practical and popular with time. It simply makes sense to have one point to raise to the target and not 2 to be lined up. I'll watch this space.

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote