New
Find
Notify
Tools

Like riding a bicycle....
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
My favorite day of spring has arrived. You know the one, where the birds start to sing, the tulips begin peeking through the soil, and the littlest patches of snow are still hiding in the shadows of the yard. Funny, I suddenly didn't have anything more important to set up my target in the yard, dust of the ol' bow, and loose the inaugural arrows of the year.

It was beautiful to see those bright fletchings flicker in the air. Sometimes I think my muscles have a better memory than my mind. No, I wouldn't win any tournaments tomorrow, but if I had to hunt for my supper tonight I wouldn't go hungry either! [Cool]

FWIW, I'm just tickled to be shooting again after a winter's siesta.... but the flight I booked yesterday to Canada to slay my first caribou this September may have something to do with it too! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Waldog

It sounds that we are at that pace on break up here also.

You have given me the itch now. My 3-D targets stay up year round and it's time to start hammering them. Bear season is just around the corner, so I'll start depreciating the value of that one first.

It sure is warm I might add. Geese are starting to show up in the last few days and bald eagles are hanging around allready. There has been some mulie sightings in some of the lesser elevations, and we are showing a tinge of green in between the snow. I think it's going to be a great winter for all game with the exception of the moose tic maybe coming back.

Happy shooting.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<recurve shooter>
posted
you guys realize it is still winter !! as we were leaving my home today (5 of us in a van ) heading for an indoor shoot 100 miles away i glanced bak at my yard and there was the head of my 3D deer sticking out of the snow (yes the just head ).have 5' of snow in the fields will be at least 6 weeks before i loose an arrow out doors , and that is if it ever warms up this was the 8th day since Dec 1 it has been above freezing ,bad winter here in NB.do some shooting for me please ---- herb [Frown]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Ya it sucks don't it.

You had the complete opposit that we had this winter. I'm seeing the buds on the trees forming out in my yard. The snow melt is causing some minor flooding on the roads. It's almost all gone. We only got around two feet all winter.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
We're supposed to get two feet this week! Last week it was 70 degrees, the trees are budding and the tulips are well out of the ground.

I have a tough bag in my garage. The only down side is that the arrows hit so hard it bends the shafts, I had to reduce the draw weight of my bow and put on sharper field points too.

<waldog>
posted
Hey Loren, I sure jinxed myself with that one! [Wink] That or Recurve Shooter put a hex on me for reaveling in the sunshine with my bow. [Big Grin] Damn this is a lot of snow! But man, I do love it!

<Loren>
posted
Not really a jinx. If not for the extra water we'd be hurting this summer.

I'm kind of an imposter here. I shoot bow for practise, but until I know the area better I'm sticking with rifle for big game. I hunted with bow in MI growing up before I had a gun. I only had our 20 acre mini farm and got skunked for about 8 years in a row.

So far my luck in CO is no better (saw game on the wrong side of the fence, just like at home).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loren,
Only suggestion I'd make is to hunt this fall with the bow if only for the additional scouting time it offers you. Have in your mind youir max distance and shot and only take a good one that way if you get one GREAT and if not you have a better idea when gun season finally gets here! I gaurantee you once you have a Bull Elk bugling in your ear, stomping and snorting and otherwise raising hell, you will become a diehard bowhunter [Smile]

Good Luck

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote