Find
Notify
Tools

Useful life of a bow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks.,

I have a pretty old 60 pound recurve made by Colt that I got in college ... some 35 years ago.

Is it just too old to try to shoot? What;s the best way to tell if it is still safe to shoot?

Used to be pretty good with it, and I'd love to try it on the local deer population next year.

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
sell it on e-bay and get a good compound.....they shoot better than you can. [Big Grin]

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fiberglass bow will last a long time. Wood laminates lose strength over time. If the bow has not been abused or subjected to high temps it should be fine. I'd look it over carefully and check it with a scale and see if it still draws the poundage and start having fun. [Smile]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my Kodiak Hunter all the time...I bought it new in 1975 and still going strong... I think it is going to outlast me..

Shoot it...Probably has another 40 years in her...Colt bows were made by Ben Pearson Archery..

Good Arrow Flight >>>=========>

Posts: 49 | Location: Brownsville Oregon | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I have a Bear Grizzly that Dad bought new in 1966 or 1967. This is my hunting bow as it was his. Can't beat taking Dad hunting. [Wink]

The point is that it was used, not abused, that it still works and that it is still safe to use. It was made about the same time as your bow.

When trying it out, bring to full draw slowly and pay attention to what is going on. Do this a couple of times then try a release with an arrow. Look very carefully at the bow, if you see cracking or crazing don't shoot it. If you don't, have a ball! [Big Grin]

[ 01-02-2003, 22:00: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lofter:
sell it on e-bay and get a good compound.....they shoot better than you can. [Big Grin]

It is obvious that the gentleman is beyond training wheels! [Roll Eyes]

Shoot a real bow not a wheel bow! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<recurve shooter>
posted
mike ,
very good advise ,just check it for a while as you shoot it.and welcome back nothing like seeing the flight of the arrow again . [Big Grin]

lofer , i am not being nasty but you don't know wht you are missing ,it is an unbelievable feeling when you just look at what you want to hit ,draw ,anchor ,release and know before the arrow reaches the target that the shot is right in there .--------- herb [Big Grin]

<Madddman>
posted
Their just jealous Herb,I love when Compounders break my chops,I still give them some venison sometimes when their skunked [Big Grin]
Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Advice already given. Welcome to the zone.
I have both compound and recurve and each has a very usefull function.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote