New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Picture of Treestand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pete, it is pressure treated wood, but it's recycled from another project. After deer season i was going to do like you said and put some preservative on it. Copper Clear or Copper Brown by Jasco is same ingredient they use in pressure treated. I'll put a few shingles down for now. Can take them up later before putting down the preservative.

I sometimes use the climber, but it's seems with the hills, you're either skylined or they're looking down at you. The wood stand has the netting and a little more room.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Ladder stand in your picture is really nice looking. I think it looks plenty good enough to steal

I was thinking of making a ladder stand, but i saw some on another site that was welded out of electrical conduit pipe. May try to make one of them if the pipe isn't sky high. Metal is getting expensive, wood too for that matter.

It looks like your trees there are either too big for climbers, or maybe too many limbs. Enjoyed the picture, looks so green there.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the tip, Pete E. Nope, never thought about using chicken wire. Was thinking of some sand but hadn't figured out how to make it stick. It was slippery from rain, i'm sure frost would 10x worse.

Plinker

posted Hide Post
Plinker,

If you fancy another woodwork project over the winter, how about a ladder stand like the ones below?

Various version of these are by far the most popular stand used in the UK (talk about hicksville- we just have our first climber on the market! )

If you build them in wood they are "moveable" enough that you can swap them from place to place each season (two person job) but they are not portable enough or fancy enough to be stolen. I have built some in two parts, the seat and then the ladder, and they bolt together on site...

We generally build them so the seat is 10' to 12' off the ground and we find that works fine; obviously if you want them taller you can build them so.

The other advantage is that they are simply tied to the tree and don't cause any damage, which can be a consideration in some places.

You would want a removeable shooting bar fo use your bow, but again thats no big problem.

If you want any more info, I will see what I can find,

regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote