New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montec Broadheads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for opinions. Just bought some, but have not used them. I like the concept though. Look extra strong. Had bad experience with mechanicals.

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I have went through tons of broadheads looking for that new better faster harder model.
After years I am using Muzzy 125 grains. I have found the tip breaks open bone to allow the furrel of the broadhead to pass through much better than other models.

I have looked at the Montec it does look good. It looks tough as hell should hold together well. I think the question is how well does it group. If it is accurate its good I only think the point might be lacking on big game. I dont think it will break bone well. I have seen a Thunderhead bounce off a shoulder blade like it was hitting a wall.

Good luck

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Which one did you get?

The two-bladed ones (B-52 and Shkote) look really good to me. I know from experience that the three-blade designs will not penetrate bone as well as the 2 blade.

The 125 Muzzy (from experience) or any of these Montecs should be plenty good for deer or black bear. I'd use a 2 blade cut-on-contact for bigger game.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I have used the 100gr Montecs for two years and can attest to their accuracy and lethality on medium size game. A close friend of mine took a black bear with the same broadhead last yr. It went 30yds. You can hear the death moan on the video tape.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 100 gr. montecs in SA last year on Zebra, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, warthog, Impala and it worked great on all. The Zebra was 40 yards quartering away. The shot looked like it did not get great penetration, but the zebra ran 50 yards stood there and died.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Good to know Tradewinds. I would like to try them on every animal on your list as well Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend would not use the ontecm because they do not feel sharp. According to Montec that is because the angle on the blade is different. My friend used the 4 bladed Muzzy and it killed as well as the Montec. In my opinion as with a rifle shot placement is most important.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they do not seem ultra sharp out of the package but they seem easy to touch up with a flat stone.

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I switched to 100 gr. Montecs last year. My first observation was that they were very reluctant to take a razor edge. Even with the G5 diamond stone, I could not get them "shaving sharp". However I recently talked to a G5 rep who told me the new Montecs are ground to a different angle on the edge. He assured me these ones will shave. My second observation on the Montec was that it flew better than any other fixed-blade head I had ever shot.....bar none. They are not as durable (the point especially) as some other heads. But, so long as the shot hits a game animal where I want, I'll sacrifice a $10 for the good of the team. I took a good PA 8-pointer with the Montec last year. I bought another round of the new ones for this year.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like them. They are expensive, but they sharpen easily and fly true. They are easy to touch up and use again and again.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you dont want to buy the stone they sell specifically you can use a piece of glass with 600/1200 grit sand paper, I get my shaving sharp really quick like that. I dont own any 100 grain montecs but I have the 125s and they fly just like my target tips, no adjustments needed. Im shooting an exo200.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan

I also had a bad experience with mechanicals and switched to slick tricks, couldnt be happier, very accurate and very tough.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I concur with fgulla !!! Slick tricks fly like field tips, are strong, and make an awesome hole in game. I used them last September to take a 6x6 bull in Az. At least check them out a Slick Tricks web site

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try the Shkote next month for whitetails. IF I can find them in stock somewere Roll Eyes

One thing I always find amusing on Bowhunting forums when talk turns to broadheads is EVERYONE'S FAVORITE HEAD FLYS LIKE A FIELD POINT AND IS SCARY SHARP RIGHT OUT OFTHE BOX!!!

jump jump jump jump

Good luck no matter what you decide!

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote