Find
Notify
Tools

My first!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted
After 4 years I finally took my first big game animal. First by bow or gun. Three of us were packing into Routt NF and two harvested on opening day of the 05 seanson. It was a first for both of us. Needless to say the third had mixed feelings about spending the weekend helping us pack out. This old 5X5 was leading a herd of 8 down the canyon. As he went behind the last tree between us I drew. He cleared the tree about 15 yds away looked right at(through) me for about ten seconds then turned away to brush away some flies. It was a perfect broadside. The arrow piered one rib, and lodged in a rib on the far side leaving only the fletching protruding. He went about 100yds. before falling. Only 6 months to go til 06 opening day!

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you on your first. Definately an adventure gettin all the stuff out huh. Just think, you have 6 months to practice, maybe buy a new bow, do research for a hunt, etc...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
Good job! That first one is the toughest, or it was for me. After you get that out of the way you can settle down and enjoy the whole experience a little more.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I got my first elk last fall as well - here's hoping for many happy returns for both of us!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk with a bow used to be a dream of mine, but bad shoulders, back, and knees won't let me do it now that I am retired and can afford it. You go back and shoot one for me next year--just be sure and post pictures. clap

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats,

I'm so addicted to chasing trophy whitetails I'm scared to try elk. Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote