New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slam Dunk...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just have to tell you folks what happened to me during my bowhunt last Friday! I decided to sleep in a little since I've gotten way behind - y'all know how easy that is! The weather was unseasonably warm for Illinois in January - high of mid 60s. I got to the stand about 10:30. I did spook a pretty good size deer walking to the stand and took it as a good sign.

Didn't see anything for about an hour and thought I heard something behind me to my left. I slowly looked over and saw a squirrel and assumed that was what I heard. As I was scanning back to the left again, a young doe materialized 15 yards behind me. (She just had to materialize - that's the only way she could've got that close without me seein' her, right?) She walked behind the stand, so I grabbed my bow and turned around. She was browsing now with her head down, not a care in the world, but I couldn't shoot - a small branch was covering her vitals. She nicely obliged me by taking a few more steps forward, less than 10 yards away, perfectly broadside and relaxed.

SLAM DUNK, right?

I put the pin just behind her shoulder about half way up and released. She kicked and jumped at the shot, heavily favoring her left shoulder and started to stagger. I was already tasting backstrap and thought I had lifted the curse that has confounded me this hunting season, but she seemed to visibly shake it off and casually walked about 50 yards away and stood for about 10 minutes, occasionally dropping her head to browse.

Long story short (too late, I know) I lost the blood trail. The only way I can figure I didn't hit the lungs with the shot is that the arrow turned on leg or shoulder bone and traveled between the hide and ribcage, exiting below the brisket.

Any other ideas what could have happened? I saw the arrow hit about midway vertically and while observing the deer for quite a while through my binos, I could see the entry wound - right on the upper leg. This one had me shaking my head all day.

Bummer!

Tony D ><>

Posts: 64 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Bummer!!
What angle was the shot....how high were you??
What broadhead were you using? Did it happen to be a mechanical?

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote