THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Will Blazers sufficiently stabilize these arrows?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Blazers sufficiently stabilize these arrows?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have my arrows fletched with 2" blazers getting ready for hunting this fall. I was practicing and damaged the fletching on two arrows. The shop I took them to told me that the Blazer vanes will not sufficiently stabilize my arrows. This is exactly opposite what another shop (not open now) said when they first put Blazers on these arrows.

I have Radial X-weave STL Hunter 300 carbon arrows, 27.5" long, and I plan on shooting a 3-blade 100 grain Muzzy broadhead or 2-blade 100 grain Rage broadheads.

Total arrow weight with tip is 368 grains with a 100 grain field tip.

Are the Blazers good enough to stabilize these arrows with 3-blade Muzzy broadheads? I really don't have the time now to re-fletch, tune, and re-sight my bow but I will if it will help increase my chances in the field.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Depends how fast you are driving them and what offset they are glued on at.

I'm shooting the same arrow 1/4" shorter with blazers on them. With the 100grain heads I don't get the best flight out of them. When I switched to 125grn heads and increased my FOC they flew dramatically better.

Again that's out of my bow pushing them around 280fps. I don't know what the offset is but it does make a difference in my experience.

I'd try some 125s just to see if they fly better in my opinion.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
The only way you will know is when you shoot them...

I have used blazer vanes in the past but I prefer a 4 inch vane for my hunting arrows with fixed blade broad heads.

Good Hunting

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard.Delport:
The only way you will know is when you shoot them...

Yep! Don't guess.

Buy a broadhead target and find out.

That's how I found out I needed to switch to 125's.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I chrono'd my arrows at 242 feet/second from my bow, ready to go.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Blazer vanes for about 4 years. With my new bow I am pushing my 30.5 inch CX Maxima 350's at 308 ft/sec, arrow weight is 401.1 grains. I have had no issues with the blazers stabilizing my arrows out to 60 yards. My older Hoyt was shooting 296 ft/sec and still no issue. I fletch mine with an Arizona EZ fletch tool with a right hand helical.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that with the blazer vanes I get better accuracy with mechanicals (Wasp SST Jackhammer) 100 gr. with fixed 3 blade muzzies, best accuracy is with 4" in vanes with a 4' twist and the insert tuned for alignment with the vanes. I think I'll be using the Wasp's/blazers for hunting out of the stand and the muzzies with 4" vanes out of the blind.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote