Find
Notify
Tools

A Few Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
Bought a new PSE Vendetta, 60-70#, equipped with a Ripcord fall away rest. I am shooting Dominator 300, cut to 30 1/2" field point. After a few hundred shots I tried some paper tuning. Bad tear right. Adjusting the rest made a small improvement. Tried some stiffer arrows, no help. Shortened one side of the cable, improvement. More shortening resulted in a great paper target along with an obvious out of line Cam. Not acceptable.

Took it back to the shop and they tuned everything to factory spec. Checked the arrow rest, still a bad tear right. Two of the guys shot the bow with the same results. Shortened the draw to 28", tried different arrows, same results.

The factory is sending new limbs, will try again. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Any Ideas on where to go next? Sure do appreciate any help.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
so you're getting a bad right tear.... but how did it shoot? do the arrows end up where you want them?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Do you get the bad tear at several different distances? I always shoot bareshaft paper tunes at several ranges ( 2,4,6,8 feet), then check bareshaft/fletch grouping at 20 yards, then graduate to broadheads and repeat the grouping test.

What tip weight? Those arrows actually have a .359 spine in spite of their name, so you may be underspined even at 100 grains. I'd try some of the lightest field tips I could get, just to check. Also, try some 300 spine arrows.

Try changing the tiller by loosening the top/bottom up to 2 turns different in 1/2 turn incremnents.

Fletching contact? Check with spray foot powder or similar.

You might need to move the rest backwards according to the chart for a left/right tear. It's a dynamic system and can have complicated seemingly non-intuitive reactions.

Finally, who has pressed the bow? It's easy for a tech to warp your riser by using the press wrong one time. Not recoverable, and not usually covered by the manufacturer. I always do all my tech work myself using a cable press.

My experience says if you can't get rid of the tear your broadheads will never fly right. Stick with it.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don, using 100gr field tips. We tried different arrows. Did not try moving the rest back, will check it out.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I definitely would suspect fletching contact.

Like Don mentioned, try sprayed the fletchings and back six inches of your arrows with foot powder.

Keep in mind with a drop away rest, dropping too fast is as bad as one dropping too slow. If the arrow isn't moving fast enough when the rest drops, the tip of the arrow will drop with the rest causing no end to goofy problems.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote