New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burlap
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will the smell of burlap scare deer or coyotes away?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It should not bother either if you leave it out in the open air for a period of time it will take up the smells of the outdoors.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
No it will not. [Smile] I use it all the time but remember this: [Wink]
Take it off before you walk into a convenience store or you may get tackled or worse. [Eek!]

Back to the stove
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Younghunter,if you're planning on wearing it or making a ghillie suit,you really should treat it with some sort of flame retardant,and make shure you can get out of the thing in a hurry.Happy hunting!!Clay P.S.I use a LOT of burlap at work,and speaking from personal experience,the stuff will light-up in a hurry. [Eek!]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made blinds and ghile suits with burlap that was spray painted to obtaine a camo pattern,leave it outside for a few weeks then a few days before you use it gather up some soil from under the leaves and put it in a bag with the burlap,you can also use a scent cover spray or the wafers that are on the market but the soil is free.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I Use burlap blinds all the time the smell don't seem to alert the deer to me.

Posts: 4 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends what they end up relating it too. if you put it out and try to air it out before and then take it to the woods and let them check it out without human intrusion then it would be ok. But if you use it the 1st day out and spook deer and they start feeling pressured then they may relate this new odor to danger. My experiance is set it out a few weeks ahead of time and they will most likely check it out some night under the cover of darkness. They will probly sniff and taste it to get a feel for what it is. i have seen this many time through use of my deer cam. These deer get REALLY daring in the darkness.

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote