New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rest and release question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never shot a release, preferring fingers. I have three bows and want to switch one to release. I have been looking at the new drop down arrow rests in the catalog. What is the best one? What is the best release to buy? Should I use a loop?
I have resisted because I don't like to hunt with a peep. How can I shoot without one?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hornetfan, This will be new to me. I have killed over 200 deer with the bow and it gets tougher as I get older. I don't shoot as much as I used to because of the heat and bugs here. WV blackflies eat me up. I just turned 66 and have trouble with my 82# bow. Time to shoot more or turn it down and go to the release I guess. Never thought I would do that! I just don't put the effort into hunting I used to because deer are so easy. I shot two with the bow this year and four with revolvers. Handguns are sure a lazy mans way of hunting. Don't have to carry much in or out. I pass up a lot of deer each year and just watch them because I don't want to do the work or butcher that day. I also quit when my friends and neighbors have meat and I have two in the freezer.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter,
a release isn't going to help the weight issues only practice will. I'd suggest dropping 20 pounds down to the low 60's. Respine the arrows and keep on doing what you are.

My 2 cents worth only

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg, I think it will help the weight issue because it is an excuse to shoot a LOT more which will get my muscles back in shape. Of course I will start at a lower weight until I get the hang of it. I have all sizes of arrows to shoot. This is just something I want to try and will only change one bow. I love all kinds of bows from the osage longbow I built, recurves and compounds, so I will still be a finger shooter too.
I don't want to hit or miss on the rest and release because on retirement, I can't afford to try a bunch to see what is best for me.
In my younger days I would shoot a heavy hunting bow 12 hours straight and I stacked up trophys at shoots all over Ohio. Those days are gone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you want to make a trip this way, there are a couple of bowshops with indooor ranges and a number of releases you can try. If interested I'll get you names.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote