Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting INTO the wind?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear bow shooting/hunting experts,

Since a week or two I've left the indoor range behind me, and I've been shooting behind my house. First of all... there is a bit of a difference! Wind, funny light conditions (like sun on your sight, and the target in the shadows), tan coloured target without a red or black circle indicating the centre (much like a deer skin), etc. Needless to say this is an extra challenge, especially to a novice like myself.

I noticed that on days with cross winds, my arrows don't hit the target straigt on, but at an angle, the fletching having been pushed off centre by more than the tip (field points). I guess with broadheads this may be less pronounced as the wind also grabs onto the bigger surface on the tip of the arrow?

For a little while I also felt as if this effect caused the arrow to actually move into the wind, by some fluke of aerodynamics, though it did feel like I was proposing a major physics law to be revised. Most hits occurred an inch or two INTO the wind.

After reading some more it occured that probably I was correcting for the wind pressure on the bow by a firmer grip, or even some torque, to keep the bow straight and on target. Upon release of the string that force would start to work, and actually move the bow off-target, into the wind, causing the arrows to hit off centre.

Combined with the crooked impact of the arrows it appeared just as if I had shot my arrows on a trajectory curving into the wind.

OK, I'll get back to work... Big Grin

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:

For a little while I also felt as if this effect caused the arrow to actually move into the wind, by some fluke of aerodynamics, though it did feel like I was proposing a major physics law to be revised. Most hits occurred an inch or two INTO the wind.
Frans

It's not your imagination. If the fletching is sized properly for broadheads the field tips will actually be striking slightly upwind. Trust yourself - you had it thought out correctly!

[I'm answering even though I'm NOT an expert!]

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote