New
Find
Notify
Tools

fly in moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of chartering a plane next fall and going for moose and bear in northern Alberta. Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm wondering if the charter companies will fly in a hunter or if they prefer not to screw with their outfitters who already support them.

My buddy got dropped off for a canoe trip the plane could haul 2 canoes and 6 passengers --total luggage allowed was 1800 lbs. They already had one or two canoes stashed in the bush from before. They did a good long trip from one large lake to another and the plane picked them up 10 days later. It got me to thinking 3 or 4 hunters and an inflatable zodiac etc. The price of the plane is $1000.00 per flying hour which is pretty decent if it's split 4 ways. A plane can fly a long way in just one hour. On the way back if every hunter tags out it might take 2 trips so I see the max would be six thousand--not bad. Usually we go in with quads but it's a hell of a trip. I wouldn't mind camping by the lakeshore of a nice lake and hunting for a couple weeks. Additionally I have a friend with a smaller plane who could ferry a little gear before hand, or afterwards.

Any Ideas?

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have an aquaintance in Ft. Mc Murray. lived with my wife's cousin. They did that every year. Even a half hour hour in a float plane will get you a long ways and they just strapped a canoe on the pontoons.Mc Murray Flight Centre-operating as Browns [that's what their letterhead says] could be one possible contact.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ft. Mcmurray was exactly where I was planning on flying out of. So you're already a ways up there, it doesn't take long to get to a nice spot. I was thinking of a zodiac because they can carry quite a bit of weight, but I already have a canoe. I don't have a zodiac. I've got all the gear for camping as well as an army cold weather tent. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'd even be willing to leave some equipment there for future use....if I could bear proof it.

the chef