Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got a Gobbler!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Friends,

Well it took three years, but today I finally arrowed a turkey.It's a lot easier with a 12 ga. Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well congrats.

You're ahead of me but one of these days ...

what's the story?

Did he run or did you shoot him down? Did he see you draw?
Were hens around you?

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Well done!!! IMHO you've taken the most difficult trophy in the lower 48. You've earned some serious braggin' rights.

My Turkey was my last compound bow kill.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. I was hunting a small field on a creek bottom where I had shot a gobbler opening week with my Bennelli.(The pressure being off, I cleaned the shotgun and put it away until next year's duck season.) Anyway I heard gobbling from all points of the compass but none close enough to work. Time ran out so I packed up and started back to the truck. Up the dirt rd I glimpsed a turkey head so I ducked down and checked him out with the binoculars. Sure enough it was a gobbler.He had seen me I think but he didn't know what I was. After all I had come from the direction of all my hen calling and I could be that hen that finally yielded to his gobbling. I quickly stuck a hen decoy in the middle of the little two track rd , while looking for a likely tree off the road with some cover but still a shooting lane. Before I had found that likely spot I caught some movement and discovered that my turkey was coming down the road. I hustled into the brush and stood by a tree.Man! This guy was coming fast in full display and I still had my bow slung over my shoulder. Hurriedly, I unsnapped the sling and nocked an arrow. Took off the attached quiver and attached my release. I just had time to draw before he came in range. Nothing coy about this guy. I thunked him with a pass through shot . He fluttered a little and darted into the brush on the other side of the road. Stood there for a moment then melted from view. I went to the arrow and examined it finding plenty of red blood on it. I walked into the woods looking for a blood trail or a dead turkey. Immediately I heard a commotion about 75 yards up from me.Lots of puts and fluttering sounds. Having a direction to go in, I soon found some blood on a pine tree and a pile of feathers beside it. I kept going and when the woods opened up I stopped and scanned with my binoculars. About thirty five yards away the turkey was down on the ground. I nocked another arrow and approached him with a drawn bow. His head came up as if he were going to leave so I thunked him again, pinning him to the ground. I put my boot on his neck and he expired quietly. My heart slowed down a bit after a while. What a morning!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Russ!
If you have any please post a picture so we all can admire your bird!!!!!!
Again Congratulatons on a hard earned trophy.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg, Thanks

I am posting the picture. Hope it works. Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!!

They sure are a lot of fun to hunt, and tricky units too. I am trying to finish up my university so didn't get one myself this year, but my buddy (at least I was there) got his with a bow and it ran like hell with us right after it and my friend lanching arrows; one hell of a sight.

Keep having fun,
Justin

Posts: 43 | Location: Palmer College of Chiropractic,Iowa | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Justin. I wish I could have seen that. They can really move when properly motivated.

Straight flight, Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Thank you Russ for sharing!!!!
Again Congrats on a nice trophy!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote