New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biscuit Time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you bowhunters out there have had to change out your whisker biscuit due to wearing out?? My bow is a '03, and probably has 2000+ shots out of it. It still shoots fine, but some of the filaments are starting to bend the wrong way, etc. How many shots/how long does it take to wear one of these things out?? Confused

After upgrading bows from an old Browning with a flipper to a Pearson with this Biscuit...I can never go back!!

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, don't know....never wore one out yet. I have one that is 6 years old, I think and it is an alum arrow model with ~ 2500 shots and going strong. I got a new Martin 2 years ago and it is set up for carbon with at least a 1000 shots and no wear at all.....biscuits rule!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Madgoat,

When I had my Biscuit on a Pearson 440 Quad it showed very little wear after a couple thousand shots then, I put it on a Bow Tech that shoots 290+ fps and it started showing wear after only 100 or so shots. I removed it because my Vanes were getting bad damage after only one or two shooting sessions. I put on a Drop-a-way and vanes are looking better but, cock vane is still touching that rest some how Confused. I don't know if the rest doesn't fall quick enough or the arrow is flexing too much but, it shoots bullet holes in paper so I can't complain too much.

That bisquit ought to last for several thou. shots if velocity is just screaming.

Are you shooting the new Brown softer buscuit or the older stiff black one?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

With many drop-aways you are better off turning the cock vane up when shooting a fast bow.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,

With many drop-aways you are better off turning the cock vane up when shooting a fast bow.

Don_G

Don,

That has crossed my mind but, the prongs are so tall on this NAP drop-a-way that the two vanes would touch the tops of the tall prongs when passing.

Like I said, It's tuned so I might as well just leave it be.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:
Reloader,

Don_G

Don,

That has crossed my mind but, the prongs are so tall on this NAP drop-a-way that the two vanes would touch the tops of the tall prongs when passing.

Like I said, It's tuned so I might as well just leave it be.

Reloader

Likewise with the biscuit, cock vane turned up is usually better.

Madgoat, If you are noting bent filaments, I would say it's time for a new biscuit. Shot life on any rest varies. When you start to note wear it is time for a change.

Reloader, though it is possible to get tuned arrow flight and still have some fletching clearance issues. My experience is that rarely remains consistent with all your arrows.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say a lot of them are bent, but maybe I should get changing it out overwith so I can get shooting time in with a new biscuit. I have yet to try one of the newer "brown" biscuits...any difference over the ol' black??

MG

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Still on Ol'Black myself. Since I don't shoot that bow that much. Probably gonna be awhile before I shoot it out.

I have heard the new browns are softer and not as hard on fletching. No experience with it myself so just repeating what I heard.

I definately think the WB is a rest that needs some breaking in once you slap a new one on.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
While I haven't had one wear out, I do have both versions - one on my older backup Mathews Feathermax, one on my new Mathews LX. The older version is all black, bristles are same flex all around. The newer version is black bristles at the bottom for support (from about 8:00 to 4:00 position), softer brown bristles the rest.

No signs of wear, but feathers tend to wear out on the leading edges kind of quick. Vanes will become "curled" if they are of a softer variety - I shoot the AAE Plasifletch Elite vanes and they are getting curly on the edge but no signs of flight problems.

The newer drop-down rests are now the "in" thing to do, but stick with what works best for you.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote