New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowfishing Pic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I though you might like to see the big carp I shot with my bow last month down in Tennessee. Its a huge female carp that will tip the scale at over 40 pounds. We shot more carp that would easily break the 30+ pound mark.

web page

Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey FF, thats one fat pig! I haven't bowfished since I left Ohio and miss it dearly, also the ice fishing. No huge carp around here. We shot around 1000# of carp once at East Harber on lake Erie.
Too bad the eggs can't be made into caviar.
I gave a 30 pounder to a black friend at work once and an old woman cooked it for him. He brought some to work and it was fabulous tasting. She would not tell how she cooked it. Every time I tried it, the fish wound up in the garbage.
If anyone knows how to cook carp. please tell us all.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one nice fish FF!

I learned the following from a friend

Recipe for Carp.
Nail a split carp to an Oaken board set at an angle over an open campfire and baste with butter cooking slowly until the fish is flaky.
Remove from the fire.
Allow to cool to a moderate temperature.
Remove the Carp from the board
Serve the Oak Board and toss the carp into the garbage

Seriously filet and skin the carp. Cook the fish as you would any other fresh fish. Grilled/Broiled/Baked with or without seasonings. I prefer minimal seasoning and just cooked with butter.
I have found that leaving the skin on and scaling a fish tends to give it a fishey taste wheras skinning removes the taste.

Good Luck

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a hog! I have never shot anything over 10 lbs, in running water and they fight like crazy. Did she give you a pull?

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dickpal,

Yeah she put up a pretty nice fight. The arrow barely penetrated her scales though, we had to put another arrow in her to haul her aboard the boat. I did not want to lose the biggest carp I've ever seen.

Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to wack at em off a couple of bridges in May/June. I smoke a few and use some for bear bait. I use them all but generaly just for fun. I use an old wheel bow other wise I break too much tackle with the hot bows. I have lost a few though because of not enough penetration and there is no way to secure them with another arrow, they are heading down stream with that arrow at full mast!!

Man I bet you had a hoot!

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote