Tools

Cross bow questions..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
1) Shooting distances..(50 yards?)
2) Best arrow heads for pigs ?
3) You can keep your cross bow loaded and ready for shoot during hours ? or you must just prepared it just before shooting ? (for example at a waterhole..)

I just can't keep the bug out of me after my recent fiasco trying to buy one at Basspro Shops.. Frowner

I am still dreaming with that Desert Stryker..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I've switched over the Gold Tip lazer II's with the 100gr inserts, using the NAP quickfletch system with blazer vanes and for broadheads, I'm going to try the 125gr steel force phat heads.

I'm sure that's more then enough punch for pigs. I don't know about your laws there, but here we can keep it loaded like a rifle for spot and stalk. Most of the time, I cock it with safety on and don't put an arrow in it until I'm in my treestand.

I'm shooting the excalibur equinox.

I would say 50 yards is a possible shot but I wouldn't try it. I practice that far and further so it makes 40 yards like a chip shot.

My Hoyt compound bow came with a video and one of the guys who shot a caribou at 65 yards with his compound.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks !!!
I was worried about walking with the crossbow loaded because of the "fatigue" I can cause in the string or in the equipment keeping it ready for shoot during several hours.

Hunting laws in my country ?? hahaha that was a good joke animal

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
one of the guys who we hunt with doesn't de-cock his bow from morning until after legal shooting time. He comes back to camp, hangs in on a nail in the shed and leaves it there until the night hunt.

His is an excalibur as well and has never had a problem in several years except for his string stretching faster then others.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a spot and stalk whitetail doe this year with my exocet 200 ranged at 63 yards. It is possible but they have a lot of time to react at that distance, I would keep shots to under 40 yards if possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't shot any farther than 35 yrds one consideration for your crossbow is restringing
the recurve style don't need a press to restring you can actually do it in the field. but they are wider just my opinion

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cocked my Horton Legend II the first morning of hunting, 02 Oct and did not uncock it until I shot a deer with it on 09 Nov. It performed exactly the same as it had always done in the past.

No Quarter Given Nor Asked

Posts: 28 | Location: My heart is in the Selous my home is in NY | Registered: 28 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, I've never hunted pigs and have only been using a CB for a few years, but all my shots at deer have been successful. Most have been under 40 yrd.s, but I did take one shot at 45-50 yards and the animal didn't move enough in reaction to the sound of the CB to dodge. Crossbow bolts travel much faster than the arrows I was shooting with recurve bows 40 years ago. Back then the I had deer 'jump the string' resulting in a wounded animal evading me.

I've never noticed any changes in aimpoint when I kept my current CB cocked. I'm thinking of a Stryker vs. Desert Stryker myself because I like the ability to decock using the internal cocking mechanism without have to shoot the CB. I've ruined bolts shooting my current crossbow to de-cock it.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
L, Another thought. Three other sites where you can tap experienced CB hunters for opinions and information are the Excaliber Forums, Archery Talk crossbow forum and Huntingnet crossbow forum. You can google up the specific addresses.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Still another thought. If you're a gun hunter you may not realize how critical range becomes with a CB. Very few hunters can consistantly judge distance in the field accurately enough to be sure of the difference between 45 and 55 yards. With a rifle or slug gun that wouldn't matter, but with a CB it can change the aimpoint enough to cost you a clean kill. I never CB hunt without a laser rangefinder.

Sei wach!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments !! thumb

Crossbow hunting is something I should try in the future...

L