THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    whew.....what was I thinking

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

whew.....what was I thinking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went out for a quick hunt tonight. A buck came by with a smallish set of horns and a really big body....all I could think of was fresh steaks on the bbq. So I lobbed an arrow at him at about 28 yards. Lucky for me I missed or that would be the end of hunting that elusive "big boy" buck for this year as my tag would have been filled.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
nut Make you crazy...Don't it?

I had a spot a few years ago with an old buck in decline was low scoring 10 pt. that had main beams like baseball bats. I wanted that old buck in the worst way. 3 seasons and I passed on dozens of deer in obcessive state.

I lost the lease and never did get a shot...My hunting buddy keeps telling me he wasn't real he was a spirit deer. Roll Eyes

These days I get less & less time for hunting. I kill the 1st deer I can(we do have liberal tags) and I find I enjoy my hunting more.

And, I still know he's out there smiling at me, someday he'll slip-up Wink

Good Luck out there.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Here in Ohio we get one buck.

I usually take the first one I can get with a bow.

One year I still didn't have a buck when gun season came around. I saw and shot a very nice, very old white-face 12 pt (in decline, he'd been a huge 14 the year before).

The result was some tough meat and a lost hunting site. The landowner's son decided he "might" want to hunt there and shut me out!

Now I shoot basket racks - and never believe the owners (or their sons) when they say it's OK to shoot a big buck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
This is just my opinion but I think any deer is a trophy bow hunting. Should it be a doe, forked horn or a true wall hanger. The thought of getting close enough and launching an arrow is the true test for me. After taking my first doe a couple of years ago, I even put away the black powder rifle during that season just so i could hunt with my bow some more. Course in Okla we have a six deer limit which makes it easier to pull back on those 'non-trophy' animals.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have seen many a hunter during the first day say that he seen some small Bucks and some decent size does. On the last day the same person would say damn I wish I would have taken one of those deer the first day as the sun was setting into the West.

I shoot for meat I havent found a receipe for antler stew yet.

It would be nice to get a big rack buck one day though.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of big bucks in Ohio. Never again! I had to give the meat away and I bet those people still hate me. Even now after over 250 bow kills, I give buck meat away, of course, I have to find new suckers every year. I will not put buck meat in my freezer. If I wanted to eat billy goat, I would buy one.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
This is why I like antelope hunting. Takes the itch off that trigger finger before our Ohio deer hunt starts.

I've let a few bucks walk this year so far. Holding out for Mr. Big.

Don, if you'll shoot any buck, then I need to get you on one of my spots in Indian Hill. I let a nice 8 point go the other night. You might have been pretty happy with him. I have one like him already so I just watched him.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I dunno about not eating buck meat. Around here it's great, must be the feed. I've heard that some deer out of the forest can be pretty strong, but with all the grain feeding around here it's pretty yummy.

the chef