THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Equipment for Bow Hunting elephant

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Equipment for Bow Hunting elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
Have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iy6uPyQU0U

Personally I would not hunt elephant with a bow.

But will use almost the same set up for Cape Buff.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Will You use Easton axis FMJ also?
I am certain that the small diameter helps for penetration.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jean,

I have never been a fan of Easton arrows.

I will use Grizzly sticks as my big game arrows.

What arrows would be your choice for 950 to 1100gr arrows?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
hi Gerhard

Sorry, I forgot to thanks You for this extraordinary clip. How easily an arrow can disappear into an ele's chest, ribs being no hinderance.?????,

My arrows are built from Easton axis 300 shaft, containing a long carbon rod (for enhancing stiffness) and a 13 cm long stainless steel rod for 20% FOC.

I have had CNC lathed a one piece stainless steel adapter+insert instead of the ordinary aluminum stuff.
My BH is a Stos that has been shortened (bottom cut off) in order to reduce the frontal area. This way, the diameter of the ferrule is hardly larger than the shaft's.
I hope that penetration will be at its best.

Tuning this sort of arrow is a long and painful process. A composite arrow has strange reactions and conventional tuning is useless.
The worst thing being that no target can stop this hog of an arrow. Only the firm ground can stop it without it being destroyed.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW Jean,

That looks like a monster arrow....

What is the weight and length of the arrow?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Once again, forgive my broken English

weight 1092 grains
length 80 cm +/- 32 inches

In fact the Ashby BH seems good but the pricing is revolting. Sure that's nothing compared to the cost of a safari.
What I reject is that I trust Dr Ashby as he goes to extensive lenghts (further than anyone) to test BHs and shafts. But I resent that he takes advantage of his fame to market a not bad at all arrow for an outrageous price. My heart is with all the BH makers who have been extensively tested in vain.
Ashby BH seems to be a top one. But why on earth STos or Eclipse could be less efficient???

Grizli shafts are fine and struggling for being the very best, what they deserve. But when penetration is paramount, I humbly believe that small diametre shafts can beat them if they can be as stiff. And big game FMJ axis is a most serious contender????
I'd love your opinions?

by the by I have to inform all of you that a really serious and nice member, EYEDOC, is fighting in the heavy weight category to defend bowhunters in the African forum, and sucessfully. A gutsy gentleman.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Ashby is NOT making any money on the sale of the broadheads carrying his name.

Have you seen, handled, hunted with an Ashby head???

I have, and killed several head of game with them. They do as advertized.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The STOS head is my choice for deer hunting and I have killed a couple of dozen deer/hogs with 160 gr STOS heads shot from recurves and longbows.

They are not nearly as strong built as an Ashby head. No way I'd pick them over an Ashby for elephant or buffalo.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
DTala

I haven't used the Ashby BHs, in fact Anchorage is a tad far for a weekend ride. Smiler
You're right, Dr Ashby gets no compensation for the use of his name.

"Disclaimer! Dr. Ed Ashby graciously allowed us to use his name on this broadhead with one condition. He insisted that we make it clear to our customers that he receives no compensation for the use of his name on our broadhead whatsoever. His goal is to educate the world on what kinds of arrows and broadheads best penetrate big game animals. He receives no compensation for any of his research but shares the results freely. He wants to educate bowhunters everywhere on what works best on big game animals so the animals may be harvested in the most efficient manner possible. It's actually more about the animal than the bowhunter. We all owe a great debt to Dr. Ashby for his significant contribution to bowhunting.

From all of us at Alaska Bowhunting Supply, Thank-You Dr. Ed Ashby!

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had a client who dropped an ele with a frontal brain shot with his bow, only the fletching was sticking out..... he has now taken all of the big 7 with the bow.

Kind of unreal

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh - excellent penetration, i would like to know how far that ele went before expiring? anyone know?

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Just had a client who dropped an ele with a frontal brain shot with his bow, only the fletching was sticking out..... he has now taken all of the big 7 with the bow.

Kind of unreal

Hi 458Aubs
Can we learn more about this exploit?
Especially what bow and what kind of arrow?
This guy has picked the very best rig for such an accomplishment, I think it'd be most informative for all of us.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Here is the photo from the ele that was shot with the bow, JeanB do you know what setup he was using?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's more than a little impressive! I'd have to say he has some fairly large "stones" to stand in front of an elephant and attempt a brain shot with a bow! I've been told I'm a little more than crazy to do some of the things I've done, and I don't think I'd try that!

There is a new heavy duty, big game arrow that just came available. Forge Bow Company president Steve Pagle designed the Shocker arrow for those that want and need DEEP penetration.

The Shocker Arrow
5/16 dia.
High "M" carbon with axial weave
tuneable nock
Shaft weight - 1,075 grains

Also available in the 21/64 diameter and 1,300 grains.

http://www.forgebow.com

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Tony set up

Custom 98# Darton bow with custom cams.
Easton Dangerous Game FMJ shaft
180 gr Silver flame BH
arrow weight 866 gr
speed >252 fps
KE 114.69

He deserves entering in the Hall of Fame.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBDERUNZ- I am trying to get some info about the picture of the brain shot elephant. As you know, on the Big Game forum they are questioning the validity of the photo. Can you or someone else give us details as to who the gentleman is and what the rest of the story is? I would love to be able to go over there and post facts that lend credence to this being legit. Also , if it is a hoaxI will go back and say as much and eat whatever crow they shove my way...

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dear Eyedoc

I have asked Tony to answer the forumites.
This bull was his last game to complete the Big 7 (ele, buff, lion, leo, rhino, hippo and croc)
I can't imagine that it could be a forgery.
So motivated (mononmaniac?) hunters looking for the hard way aren't prone to use shortcuts or plain cheating.

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jb, from the other thread.....

I was basing my comparisons of the broadheads by my own experiences with them. I have seen the tip of two STOS heads "tip curl" on bone. I now "tanto" the tips of my 160gr STOS points...no probs.

I've never seen a SF tip curl or bend/break. I don't think an Ashby(315gr) will bend/break on any bone.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Hi DTala

I always set a Tanto point on the Stos.
But what makes the Stos look thin is the 1/3 ratio (very sharp and slender look)and the slim ferrule, a bumping ferrule making the BH looks more fat.
Can You PM me?
jbderunz@wanadoo.fr

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's the German Kenetics Silverflame 180gr, Ashby 315 gr, and the STOS 160gr+42gr alum adapter.....

ferrule profiles, SF is the fat one.

SF has steel threads built in, Ashby has steel threads built in, STOS has alum(42gr) or steel(100gr) glue on adapter.

troy

Birmingham, Al