New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever Have A Lucky Miss?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago I tried bowhunting. I bought an 80# Pearson recurve at my neighbors garage sale. I got practiced up shooting hay bales and went mule deer hunting. At that time in New Mexico you got a buck, bear and turkey tag with your license.

I wasn't having any luck finding a buck, but I stumbled over a flock of turkey coming off water. I started "stalking" them. I had no clue what I was doing. They led me up and down and around most of the mountains near Queens, New Mexico.

After an hour or so I was worn down. They were huddled up about 75 yards in front of me, so I thought what the Hell. I threw an arrow at them.

I watched it arc their way, The shaft hit a limb right in front of a big one and for some reason shot straight up in the air about 100 feet. Scared the Hell out of the turkeys.

That was the end of that. I got back to town the next day and was telling a Game & Fish guy at a gas station the story about nearly getting the turkey. That's when he told me it wasn't legal to hunt turkey there. They had just been re-introduced. He asked me if I had a Hunting Proclamation, thumbed through it, and showed me where it was spelled out in writing.

Talk about feeling stupid. Luckily I wasn't very good with that bow, and he was a nice guy.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote