New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feral Pig Arrows
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is similar to Don-G's topic on Cape Buffalo.
I will be using a 47# recurve while hunting in heavy cover with a maximum range of 60 feet for feral pigs. To experienced hunters I ask: What is your advice on arrow shafts and chisel broadheads?
And pray for those cursed by Katrina.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the heavy arrows. I like the carbon arrows, because if they aren't shattered they are as straight as when new. Aluminum arrows start out straighter (generally), but rub 'em once or lean on 'em and they take a bend.

I would suggest to you the BassPro RedHead Carbon Supreme Hunter 350s. These weigh 12 gpi and will give you a 630 grain arrow when used with a 190 grain Grizzly head and a 100 grain steel 5 degree broadhead adapter.

I think if you leave them full length the spine might be OK for your bow, but I have not used a recurve in years.

I could send you one to try if you like, to save you a $150 experiment. I'd like to get it back, though.

Boss Kongoni's 880 grain maple might be a tad heavy for that bow, but "heavy is good!"

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I just realized that I had cut my last RedHead to 29-1/2". That may be a little over-spined for a 47# bow, even with a 300 grain total head weight.

I could still send you one of the 300 grain heads to try.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats your draw length? The longer it is the stiffer the spine of the shafts needs to be, as the heavier heads also require more spine. Since you are shooting a fairly low poundage, I would go with a cut on contact two blade head. Which one depends on the weight and length of the arrow shaft. A couple to consider though would be the 160 Grizzly or 160 STOS.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
IMHO hawgs are the best game in the lower 48 to learn about what an arrow can & can NOT do.

Strong razor sharp two blade head the heaqvest arrow you can get to fly accurately from your bow. Get as close as your nerves will allow.

47#? I'd start around 450gr. and see how that works.

I would offer that the shield aera on a boar over 200# starts to get pretty tough. Pick you target wisely.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have to defer to your experience - as I said I haven't shot a recurve in years.

But Ole Miss Guy said a max range of 20 yards.

Although 450 gr seems like a normal weight deer arrow for a 47# bow, this seems to me like a case for "the heavier the better". The rainbow trajectory won't matter much at that range, and the added momentum could really help penetration.

Can you explain your thinking to me? I'm here to learn. not to throw stones.

I know that matching the spine is very important for a recurve, that is the reason I suggested such a heavy head for that arrow, and starting out with it full length.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Don - IMHO 10grs. per # of draw wt. is a good "starting" point for trad arrows.

As you know spine can be tuned by arrow lenght and broadhead wt. Brace ht. and limb design are also factors.

Yes, heavy is better until accuratcy suffers.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your advice.
I draw 29 inches and at 65 on 47#, I have short practice sessions. I am experienced with the feral hogs shield on the chest, and this is why I though a chisel point broadhead might be preferred. Heavier arrows are the more logical.

Thanks for your offer Don-G.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Just let me know via PM if you want to try the broadheads. I'll send an arrow with it just in case 29.5 is not too short (or stiff.)

Don

Don_G