New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbow questions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Next year I can use a Crossbow in Wi.because I will hit the 65 year old age limit for use.I hunt now with a MQ1 and an older Bear take down.When the weather gets around zero ,it is hard for me to draw and so want a Crossbow ,for cold weather hunting.I know nothing about them.I thought maybe some here could give me recomendations on eguipment.Thanks ahead,OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I went to cabelas and gander mountain and looked over their selection of equipment and tried a few out,after looking at their websites.

http://www.crossbow.com/

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/

any of these will run from $300 to $2500 depending on model.
I ended up going to
www.sportsmansguide.com
to the local warehouse/catalogue showroom and looked over their returns and demos.I ended up with an unused import sample for $120 plus some aluminum bolts.
Although I would caution you to look them over before buying,they have their "guide gear" brand,which seems to be acceptable starter equipment.Mine certainly shoots well enough,but I am on my own as far as parts or service.
If you have some more questions feel free to pm me ,and I will give you all the advice you can stand. Big Grin

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Links.I will look through them and PM you at a later date.Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have use a Horton crossbow, I got surgury on my shoulder 2 times, and it made it difficult to pull my bow back. So I bought a Horton, I looked at a few of them and settled on the Horton.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Redhawk

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and spend the money on an Excaliber. I have owned about 4 crossbows and have shot even more.

I now own an Excaliber Exocet. They are simple, no cams, and are the most accurate available.

I use a Muzzy 3 or 4 blade, mostly b/c they come with practice blades. You can't go wrong.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used most crossbow brands. I ended up shooting a Horton. Contrary to most states, by the time I was old enough to hunt, crossbows were legal in my state. Barnett, Ten Point, Excaliber, etc... The only bow I'd like to try out is the Stryker. It would be nice to see what kind of ballistics you'd get. Not worth the price difference though... JMHO

gd

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted deer with a crossbow for a good many years. I finally upgraded to an Excalibur and I am glad I did. Everything about them is simple, classy and pricey, but money very well spent. The trigger is superior to any crossbow that I have tried.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems that there a lot of Excaliber fans.I will have to find a Dealer that handles them and check one out.Thanks guys!@!!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tried the excaliber's also. they are simplw with that recurve and very nice to shoot. they are wide though. might make a difference in some situations.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Cabelas in another state to get mine. They allowed me to try a couple before I made my decision.

I really like the ten point, I got. I believe it was the best crossbow on the market at the time.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have a Ten Point that you can hit a quarter at 40 yds with. You have to shoot at different dots to keep your bolts. I like the safetys on the TP's. You cant loose a thumb or finger on them. Surprised me how quiet they are too. Id check out the TP's before I purchase anything. This is the only one I have shot besides a Cabelas brand. God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well ,I ordered a Excalibur Vortex yesterday.it seems to be the lightest and simplest bow available.I tried out Compounds also,but they weigh a lot more.The Excalibur has a 3 Lb. trigger pull .Sweet.The only negative is that it is wider than the compounds.I will still use my MQ1 early in the season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
olbiker the excaliber is a good quality bow and should serve you well. It is very important to get the bowstring pulled back to the same location everytime, If you pull the string off to either side it will cause your bolts to fishtail. Take a tube of whiteout that is used for correcting mistakes on paper and put a mark on your string on both sides of the riser this will help you kept the string in alignment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it all set up.Shot 40 bolts at 20 yds today.That sucker sure is accurate.killahog,I did what you said.I am using a rope cocker and it seems to cock to the same place each time.I am using carbon Firebolt shafts and 150 gr.target points.You only shot one at a aiming point,otherwise would break a few.I am going to use it for Turkey this Spring!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have owned 5 ...so far. Excalibur by far the simplest and most reliable. It took me 2 missed bucks to find out that the same broadheads that work in a vert. may not work in a CB. Large heads (like Thunderheads) tend to plane from Mine. Finally settled on Slick Trick mags, on Gold Tip Lazer II shafts with 110 grn brass inserts and 2" Blazer vanes. They fly like computer guided darts with great terminal performance.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Well ,I ordered a Excalibur Vortex yesterday.it seems to be the lightest and simplest bow available.I tried out Compounds also,but they weigh a lot more.The Excalibur has a 3 Lb. trigger pull .Sweet.The only negative is that it is wider than the compounds.I will still use my MQ1 early in the season.

Who did you buy the Excalibur Vortex from?

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote