New
Find
Notify
Tools

poor little moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a cow and bull moose on the walk out tonight-I had been hunting or scaring elk what ever you want to call it!! Well damned if the bull didn't almost give me a money shot--but I've been hunting on a partner tag and buddy is in Mexico with the tag in his wallet. So it would have been poaching pure and simple, luckily the moose took off and removed any temptation that I had. I wouldn't have shot it anyway but it was sure cool getting within bow range finally. Then on the drive out there was a cow and two calves. One of the calves decided to run in front of the truck so I slowly followed for awhile-they sure do run differently than horses and he was able to do 12 miles an hour seemingly effortlessly. Any way not wanting to be a "harasser of wildlife" I shut off the headlights and stopped the truck. I figured the little guy would take off, but noooo he's still there when I start out again. Now this isn't a real road, it's just a road allowance with barbed wire fencing on each side so bullwinkle keeps running right down the middle. Once agian I stop the truck and shut off the lights, then I heard the most Godawful racket!! Damned if he didn't get himself caught in the fence. The poor little bugger was totally trapped, so I approached carefully and took a look. Damn it looked bad but I wasn't going near him until he was totally exhausted-I can just imagine getting kicked by those long legs. Back to the truck I go and wait awhile until all is quiet. Finally I figured he must have gotten untangled, because it got quiet. Just to be sure I headed back to take a look, well damn he's still trapped. Finally he rolled under the botton strand and took off.

Then another 50 yards down the road I met a skunk, but my window was still opened...I've been meaning to grease the window mechanism because the window is pretty hard to roll up. The skunk turned and had his tail straight up and aimed my way-I said a little prayer to the skunk Gods that I would be spared. Apparently I hold more sway with the skunk Gods than the moose Gods because I was spared tonight!!

It's always an adventure isn't it?

the chef