New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappearing Act
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was riding the 4-wheeler along a shelf when i spotted a dark form rise up and disappear over the hill. Figured it had to be a deer, but i didn't get a good enough look to even determine if it was a buck or doe. A "shelf," to explain the terrain here, is a steep hill, then a flat area, then another steep grade, repeating till you get to the top of the hill. Anyway, i rushed over to the edge of the shelf where it had been (about 60 yards). There was a definite depression in the leaves which was still warm. That area of woods is very open, so at first i was puzzled that a deer would be bedded down there. But thinking about it, it makes very good sense. On the edge like that, it could see anything from either below or behind. In my case, by the time i got the 60 yards and looked below there was nothing to see but disturbed leaves. If i had been coming from below, it would just as easily been out of view in a few quick strides in the other direction.

I knew they were good at hiding in the brush. But darn, they can even sleep practically out in the open and still be safe. Having never deer hunted before, i'm easily impressed, but these "dumb" animals are amazing.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was out exploring the other weekend I saw a very big Doe bedded down on the top of an immense sandpile in a quarry. She obviously liked that spot as I could clearly see the trail she used repeatedly to get there. She was no fool, nothing could get within 200 yards of her as there was zero cover. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Quote:

She was no fool, nothing could get within 200 yards of her as there was zero cover. derf

Yea, Nothing but, a well placed rifle bullet .

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--I was enjoying and piqued about your description of a "shelf",then I got confused.(not hard to do with me) What confused me was the part about a flat spot. In WV? Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? Maybe flat spot in Wv means only a 45 degree angle?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, I never found out if you were able to get my tuning info. I want to send you some great stuff on deer but don't know if you can download it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote