New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sure are a lot of Sights on the market. Keeps me wondering if there is some benefit of using one "Style" over another one.

I see they now have 1-Pin Sights that you adjust before a shot. Multiple Pins mounted Horizontally and Multiple Pins mounted Vertically, directly behind each other.

Most seem to have a small Bubble Level. And one has a thing called "Retina Lock Technology" where if the sight is skewed, it is obvious.

I DO NOT anticipate that I will ever be taking relatively long shots.

Any comments regarding Sights are welcome.

Question:
If your current Sight was gone(damaged, stolen, given to a youngster, etc.), what type of Sight would you buy to replace it?

Choices:
1. A Single Pin Adjustable to Distance.
2. A 3-Pin Horizontal.
3. A 4-Pin Horizontal.
4. A 5-Pin Horizontal
5. A 3-Pin Vertical.
6. A 4-Pin Vertical. (If they make one.)
7. A 5-Pin Vertical. (If they make one.)
8. A Retina Lock(IQ Bow Sight).
9. Other.
10. I do not use a Bow Sight(Instinctive Shooter).

Question:
Do you use the Bubble when shooting?

Choices:
11. Yes.
12. No.
13. Other.
14. Don't have a Bubble with Instinctive Shooting.

Question:
Have you found the small screw-in Pin Light useful?

Choices:
14. Yes, and it is Legal where generally I Hunt.
15. No, and it is Legal where I generally Hunt.
16. It would be Illegal to use them where I generally Hunt, so it doesn't matter.
17. Other.
18. I'm STILL shooting Instinctive and don't need any Sight Lights Thingys.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
These are great questions HC I have used just about everything in this survey.

My sight is a single pin adjustable by Cobra. I have to move it before I shoot but it has a trade off. You must not forget to move the sight or you will be off target. The advantage is the one single pin is in the center of the round hood so I center the entire sight hood in my peep plus you can get in-between yardage and long yardage without a mess of pins to look through.

I have used the bubble but can't remember the last time I looked at it.

If it is too dark to see the fiber optic pins you can't see through the peep so the little light doesn't help me.

I have a line on the bow I am using now. It is a great bow that won't break the bank and gives you room in the budget for everything else a archer needs.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com...33-bow.aspx?a=685935

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 4 pin vertical, it has "Extreme" on the label, but I do not know if that is the make or model. The 4 pins seem to work fine, with my eye sort of automatically centering the one I am using in the sights' round hood. It has a bubble level on it, but I have never looked at the level in a hunting situation, & almost never (maybe when it was new) in practice..
I agree with Ted that the lights are not necessary. In the "old days" with painted or fluorescent pins, they helped a bit in low light, but with today's fiber optics, pins are bright enough for as long as I can see through the peep.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently people use fewer Sights than they do Quivers. bewildered

Anyway, I sure appreciate the input.
-----

Hey Ted, If the Blizzard subsides, I'll be at the Shop on the 16th. I'll ask Tim to show me the G5 Quest QS33 then. It might be a bit more Draw Weight than I want to start with though.

That is the same price as the Craze I was looking at.

Sure appreciate the info about the Light.
-----

Hey eliscomin, Real glad you posted about the Vertical Sight. Very interesting experience you all are sharing with me.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't taken a shot past 25 yards in my 35 years of bowhunting, so a 3-pin sight is just fine with me--and a 2-pin would work just as well (15 & 25 yds zero).

My current Hoyt has a 3-pin horizontal by Carolina Archery Products with a light but I have never used the light. One thing I've noticed when practice drawing on deer during "dark" times--when I turn on the sight light-the additional brightness of the fiber optic pin causes a "flare" that obscures the deer. I have put two layers of masking tape over the light source plus coloring the tape with a blue magic marker--still too bright.

My backup bow has a new Apex Gear 5-pin sight and I just haven't gotten around to removing the extra pins--same story with the light, but this sight has more fiber optic material and "gathers" more light than the other one, so I can see pins right up to the end of legal shooting light, although I wouldn't take a shot as the large peep I use (1/4" diameter) still doesn't allow for a good sight picture and sight alignment.

As far as not taking a shot past 25 yds--well my stands are generally set up in heavy cover and I don't have shooting lanes that go beyond 25 yds for the most part.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I use a 4 pin Sword but I use the same sight for hunting as I do for 3D target shooting. A 3 pin would be adequate for most hunting.

My sight came with a light but I have found that by the time I loose sight of my pins it is too dark to see the deer so the light has never been used.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I like to keep it simple so I use a single pin fiber optic non-adjustable site on both my bows. Danged if I can remeber the name of the brand though. I site in for 25yards and be done with it. On my bows, I'm good out to just over 30 yards before I really have to compensate for arrow drop. I'm pretty old tech, using alum. arrows and fixed broadheads too, so if I went to carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads, I could probably do better. I limit my shots to 30 yards and only take broadside or quartering away shots, with this and todays flat shooting bows, I have never felt handicapped by this set up.

Edit:
Had to look up who it is that made my sites. My sites are made by Vital Bow Gear. They don't make the specific model I have anymore, but the current one that is most similar is called a Profix.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the additional input.

Seems as if you all are pretty much in sync with the P&Y Record Books about the "Distance" for the average shot. I just read in Bowhunter magazine earlier today that, "out of just over 37,000 Whitetail Deer recorded, the average shot distance was 20.9 yards!"

I've always enjoyed sneaking in amongst them. And enjoyed even more being able to sneak back out without them knowing I was ever there. But, 21yds average for 37k+ Trophy Kills is just amazing to me.

Thanks again for the input.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
depending on how new you are to archery, the bubble can be very very helpful. i use it for every shot, its part of my shooting 'routine'. up close its not that vital to use imo, but if you like to shoot longer distances, it can really make a difference to make sure you hold your bow the same way every time and not hold it at an angle.

i also use a 7 pin sight. mainly because i can't find an 8 pin Smiler i love to shoot long range, it really builds my confidence at short ranges. plus it will magnify any flaws in your form if you're shooting groups at 80 yards.

i recommend small pins for the longer range ones, or they will cover up your target. i love the 7 deadly pins sight by spott hog with the little .010" pins.

i also prefer a round sight frame. i size my peep sight to match my outer ring of my sight. when i line up my round peep with the round sight ring, i know i'm anchored properly.

and not anticipating longer shots is one thing, but sometimes they can sneak up on you. especially if you decide to get out of a treestand and go after antelope or mule deer or something. most eastern whitetails are shot at close range, and most of mine have been within 20 yards. although this year my best archery buck ever stepped out and i shot him at 48 yards. i had a whole 10 seconds to see and shoot this deer, but because i shoot a lot and at extended ranges, this shot was pretty easy for me.

but as many have said, a 3 pin sight will work jsut fine for most all hunting situations. although if you can get a sight where you can add or remove pins, you can have a few extra during practice season to shoot long range, and simply remove them during hunting season to take away temptation, and to not confuse you with tons of pins in your way while buck fever is pulsing through veins Smiler

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
depending on how new you are to archery, ...
I'm about as ROOKIE as a person can be. I had a Martin Lynx from `78-`79, shot it a lot, but never took it Hunting. So anything I know from way back then is so dated that I don't trust what I remember. I could have remembered it WRONG, it is partially correct, or maybe still good. But, I don't mind asking the ROOKIE questions as long as you all will bear with me.

Just noticed a HUGE amount of additional Replies to the Poll. A sincere Thank You to everyone.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
Welcome back to bowhunting! Life wise i'm kind of a rookie, but i've been bowhunting since i was 14, so i've got 15 years behind me, and i continually learn more every year. i'm fortunate to be surrounded by some great archers (state and national champs) as well as bowhunters at my local range, so i get a lot of tips on shooting and technique.

I've taken 2 of my friends 'under my wing' this year and taught them how to hunt and shoot. i stress to both of them to use the level bubble. i can tell when they are shooting when they forget to use it. especially on longer shots. if you cant the bow slightly, think of how far your pins will sway to the left or right, and at 40, 50, and farther yards, it can really throw off a shot. they'll shoot fine then all of a sudden at 40 the arrow will be almost a foot to the side.... forgot to use the level!

what it does is help with muscle memory, and trains you to hold your bow straight vertical, every time. and if you start with it, you will develop that proper technique early on.

it also has a good purpose in the woods. when you are standing on unlevel or sloped ground, what may seem to you like level based on your perception, may actually be tilted, and your level will let you know this instantly.

everyone is different, and you need to develop your own routine for every shot. but for me, i draw the bow, anchor, close one eye and ensure my peep sight and sight ring are in perfect alignment, open my eye, check my level, then find the correct pin, put on the target, etc...

sounds like a lot but it happens very quick, and its just my personal way of shooting. you will develop your own once you get comfortable shooting. just remember to do the exact same thing every shot, no matter if its a target or a pope and young monster in front of you!

lots of good info on this site, ask all the questions you need.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey cooperjd, Lots of good info in your post. I particularly like the part about:
quote:
what it does is help with muscle memory, and trains you to hold your bow straight vertical, every time. and if you start with it, you will develop that proper technique early on.
All I've been doing so far is trying to get some Muscle Tone with my arms, shoulders and across my back. But..., that won't be any good unless I'm holding the Bow in proper alignment, as you point out. tu2

So, I need to decide on a Sight and put it on the Bow. I spotted one, with a Bubble, at a local Shop for about $23. I don't think it is what I'd want long term though, but it does have a Bubble Level. Then I could get what I want for long term later on.

The Big Loop of Plastic which creates the Pin Guard on it is totally Clear. Should provide plenty of Light for the Pins, but I'd think it would reflect light in the woods, and spook the Deer. Simply speculation, but I might be able to Camo it a bit.

The thread is giving me lots to think about as far as Sights.
-----

Also agree with you about lots of good info on the Board. I've used the "Find" feature a good bit and I've been flipping back through the pages looking at a bunch of the old threads.

Thanks for your insight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

The Big Loop of Plastic which creates the Pin Guard on it is totally Clear. Should provide plenty of Light for the Pins, but I'd think it would reflect light in the woods, and spook the Deer. Simply speculation, but I might be able to Camo it a bit.

All three of my bows have clear plastic pin guards. I've never had a situation where I believe light reflecting off the pin guard has busted me! And if you cover the clear plastic with anything to camoflage it, you'll be losing the light gathering capability!

I think too many people forget about the basics of hunting, not getting spotted through movement, or proper scent control, hoping instead that buying the latest and greatest new product to hit the market will instead protect them from their quarries senses.

It doesn't work that way...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shof, Good to hear the "Clear" Plastic Loop is not creating a problem for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 compounds. One has a 3 pin verticle and the other a 5 pin horizontal. For hunting I definitely prefer the Vertical. I've taken deer and other animals out to 50 yds. I put in the poll that I use the light, and I do when I'm in a state where it's legal. I've pig hunted a night and used it.

I don't think you can buy a decent sight for $23 unless it's used. The two I've got cost between $70 and $100.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I've got a plain 3 pin fiber optic from truglo. Works just fine for me and is VERY easily adjusted. As said above, the outer ring of the sight lines up in a perfect circle with my peep, so I always have it aligned properly. Don't have a level and have never used one.

With my last bow (around a '94 model pse) I had a pin for every ten yards. With todays flat shooting bows, 3 pins gets me out to about 45-50 yds. First pin is good out to 25, the second one for 30-35, then the third for 40-45. I can do 50 or 55 if I hold over a little, but I won't try to shoot a deer at more than 40 yds, and I prefer closer than 25 for that.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
For me its all about the terrain I'm hunting on. All spot and stalk, so the single pin adjustable isn't a good option I simply need every second I have to steady for a shot and do not have time to adjust the sight.
So I us a 3 pin vertical ,Montana Gold, actually don't know that the brand is that important . I need a ruggered strong site as I'm working in some tough terrain and the last thing i need is a damage sight.
Have a 2000 Hoyt so its fast enough for me,I'm not into speed. Have my pins set at 25m ,35m and 45m. The level is useful in practice but i find once I'm in form it becomes unnessecary.
Lights, don't have one YET but I'm keen on the idea.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the additional input from everyone - Thank You! tu2

Now when I look at the Poll, it indicates there is a lot of diversity in what everyone prefers. Or, it indicates there is no "one" correct answer for everyone.

Your individual comments have been great! tu2
-----

Anyone care to comment on Pin Size and/or Pin Colors? Just didn't think about it when I set-up the Poll.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Small pins with fiber optics, mine is red...I have a one pin adjustable.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Small pins with fiber optics, mine is red...I have a one pin adjustable.

Personally, I too like the one pin adjustable. I know the multi-pin systems are quicker, but I prefer just having ONE pin to deal with. I'm not the brightest little star in the sky and I've used the wrong pin a couple times too many.

It's worked well in Wisconsin, Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Georgia, Tennessee, Quebec, Manitoba, Ontario and South Africa, with shots taken from treestands, ground blinds and spot & stalk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which hand do you all use to Adjust the Single Pin? The hand holding the Bow or the hand pulling the String?

Or do you just Set the Single Pin and estimate the Drop at the distance you are taking a shot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which hand do you all use to Adjust the Single Pin? The hand holding the Bow or the hand pulling the String?

Or do you just Set the Single Pin and estimate the Drop at the distance you are taking a shot?

Even though I'm left-handed, I learned to shoot a bow right-handed and now am unable to make the change. So I use my right hand to re-set the range adjust if needed.

But my bow/arrow/broadhead combination shoots pretty darned flat, so I've learned what my approximate hold-over/under is at various ranges so I rarely have to re-adjust my sight.

On LONG range (which for me is anything over 40 yards), I figure the animal is far enough away that it's likely to remain unspooked and then I'll have time to re-adjust my sight for the required range.

It's worked for over twenty years, who am I to change now?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dug through my Tool Box and located a small Bubble Level. Got some 2-sided Tape out and afixed it to the Riser. Still want to go on and select a Sight, but the Bubble Level is working right well right now - until I get a real Sight.

Had no idea there were so many different Manufactures and nuiances within each Line. Your alls Tips have been a HUGE Help. Thanks. tu2

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

The string hand.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I also adjust mine with the string hand. I use a Single pin HHA slider sight. I use a Green pin. It's easier to see than any other color in low light. I leave mine set at 35 yards while hunting on the ground spot and stalk. If I am set up and calling or in a blind I range the longest shot I will have. If it's 35 yards I set the sight on 30 yards. If I have time to range an animal and set the sight I set it exactly to what the yardage is. It takes me nine seconds to range a target, set my sight, nock an arrow and shoot. I have had a buddie time me while I have done it.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in here.I personally dont think a person should be able to use any sight until there has been enough practice on the range and in the field, to be able to judge yardage,to be able to know how you're bow shoots,and to have the confidence to be able to put the arrow where you want.I shot with no sights for 3 years,fingers and release. Ever break a sight while hunting? 99% of the people pack up and go home!!Because without the sight ,they cant shoot. Just my opinion..

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eliscomin:
Mine is a 4 pin vertical, it has "Extreme" on the label, but I do not know if that is the make or model. The 4 pins seem to work fine, with my eye sort of automatically centering the one I am using in the sights' round hood. It has a bubble level on it, but I have never looked at the level in a hunting situation, & almost never (maybe when it was new) in practice..
I agree with Ted that the lights are not necessary. In the "old days" with painted or fluorescent pins, they helped a bit in low light, but with today's fiber optics, pins are bright enough for as long as I can see through the peep.

Extreme is the brand name. http://extremearchery.com/

For hunting i use a Copper John mark1

For 3D i use a Toxonics naildriver and scope.

For indoor i use Gibbs Sure Loc and scope

The name of the game for a hunting sight is A: Durability and B: can you see it in low light. Don't need to spend a mint to get both of those.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote