New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fletching Jig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any opinions on the best fletching jig? Fletching will be carbon arrows with either 2 or 4 inch vanes.

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
What are you going to fletch?
Blazers, feathers, 5" vanes....

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Bitzenburger, been using the same one for close to 15 years.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what kennedy said, plus one!! Mine is almost thirty years old now.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ol' "Bitzy" is the industry standard upon which all other fletching jigs are judged.

I cannot tell you how many hundreds of arrows I've refletched with one over the years.

However, being the non-traditionalist that I am, I gave my jig to my best friend and went to totally feather/vane-less arrows.

I now shoot FOBs. FOB stands for "fletching only better." It is a plastic disc that simply is press fit onto your arrow. It offers incredible stabilization of the arrow, even with big two blade heads, and because of the narrow side profile, is less susceptible to wind-drift.

On a pass-through, the FOB falls off at the point of impact, marking the spot where your arrow made impact.

I can "refletch" an arrow in about ten seconds and they aren't affected by snow, rain or cold.

The only drawbacks that I can see is that they do require a drop-away rest, so no prong, Whisker Bisquit or traditional shelf shooting. And I had to go to a five spot target because I keep destroying FOBs if I shoot at a one spot target.

They seemed like a gimmick, but I'm always looking for new and interesting products so I gave them a try. I was so impressed that I no longer own an arrow with feathers or vanes.

For more information, check them out at http://www.starrflight.com

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go with the Bitz you will not regret it ever! the one i have is 40+yrs old and the guys at the factory want it for there display (live 1 mile from the shop and know most of the people there)Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will get a Bitz next week.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bitz is about 30 years old as well. It seemed fairly pricey when I bought it, but what finally sold me was a photo of arrows being fletched in a factory that made another brand of fletchers, they were using 100's of bitz's and not the one they made!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You made the right choice.I've used my Bitz for everything from really skinny carbons to thick birch dowels.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought my Bitz in the last century--in the '70s and it hasn't missed a lick. The finish on them isn't the greatest, but that doesn't matter on the outcome.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
Check out the one from Arizona Archery. I used to use a Blitzenberger, but this baby is much easier and quicker.