Notify
Tools

Re: Broadhead choice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted
You can get adaptors from http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/

from 20gr aluminium to 100gr, steel. I use 5min epoxy to attach them. If you need to remove the addaptors you can use a propane tourch to heat & loosen the glue. Use sand paper to ruff-up your contact surfaces for a good bond.

I know I should spin test them but, I don't. Maybe it's the stubbond Trad guy inside of me? I build up my arrows and shoot them to test them. The bow & arrow in the pic are: 70# NavajoII and 600 gr, arrow dynamics tapwered carbon. Those are thye glue-on heads weighted up to 185grs.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey boss, you know how to do it. We have some real yuckers here in WV. I had to finish off an 8 point buck in archery season. Some yucker shot it with a rifle from a car and left it. Broke the spine. I gave it to a neighbor and when butchering he found 7" of carbon arrow in the shoulder area. Had a 100 gr. Thunderhead on it and the thing had been shot into the ground before being shot into the deer.
Then in gun season I shot a 5 point with my revolver and when gutting it I found 7" of ultra light aluminum shaft inside the chest. It was healed almost totally and was touching the heart. The deer was limping. The 100 gr. Muzzy was also shot in the ground first because one blade was cracked, the point was smeared off and the blades were chipped. Same appearance as the above Thunderhead.
Besides using dull, damaged broadheads these yokels are trying to kill with these light arrows. Can you picture them in Africa? When is the target speed, flat shooting syndrome going to go away? Seems as if there are no real hunters anymore, except me and you of course.
I watched a show on the Outdoor channel where a guy turned red to draw his bow, shot a buck in the chest behind the shoulder and over half the arrow was sticking out. What would happen if a bone was hit? Darn arrow would bounce off. Toothpick shooters! What next, swizzle sticks? We could get rich selling plastic or rubber shafts.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter - Thank you for the kind words. If you like my deer, hog & plains game bow, you gonna love my Buff bow...

I've got an 85# version of that same recurve. I had it built with a micarta/bocote riser to handle the stress. I'm shooting 850gr. maple arrows out of it now, but I'm still evaulation my choices/wts. I just built up some Grizzly Safari shafts. http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/default.php?cPath=22&osCsid=0e6e6b939a332af7eeadd1716ba9bf7e

The only problem is I'm in the weight room more than on the range...

If this year goes better than last I hope to be hunting buff in Zim or Moz in September.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote