New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with crossbow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting into bow hunting but will have to use a crossbow...any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot two different crossbow over the last few years. Both have been bow tech ( Stryker). I like them. If you have a hard time cocking one, you should try this at the store not at home after your buy, tHen get one that has a cocking device. There is one model, nor sure who makes it, that has an air cylinder that will cock and unlock it for you. Very nice. Other than that uncocking is shooting your bow. I keep a target set up at home to shoot into when I return from the woods.
I use mechanical broad heads, I will not use them on my stick bow, but the crossbow shoots with such force that I feel confident in them. I am using hammerheads, a 3 blade with a 2" cutting pattern. The carnage is freaking amazing.

Get a scope that has BC reticles in it. Spend the extra bucks to get alice one. If you can find one with adjustable reticles it would be great.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought myself a Parker Hornet Extreme on Wednesday and like it so far. I've probably shot it only a total of 25 times in the past two days. Cabela's had it on special for $750 for the entire package (bow, scope, 6 bolts, 6 field points, 6 broadheads, sling, cocking cable, soft case). It also has a lifetime warrantee.

Parker also makes the above mentioned CO2 cocking/uncocking crossbow (Concorde).

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something I forgot to mention, crossbows are noisy when shot compared to compounds. So my opinion speed is very important. I kill 6-10 deer a year with crossbow or compound bow. I have found speed in crossbow to be important. I, however, do hunt in the middle of a field laying down in a ghille suit often, and shots are 50 plus.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a bunch of fellows that are all bow hunters. I have shoulder problems so I could not draw a compound bow of any weight so I decided last week to get a crossbow. They all recommended the Barnett Jackal as a first crossbow, and one of them owns a bow shop. I just got it, but it looks like it will do what I need it to.

Time will tell, but I am excited.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Kodabow. IMO the best crossbow made. Recurve limbs, very quiet, fast, and easy to maintain.

Posts: 149 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word (Excalibur)

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with a crossbow is not "bow hunting", it is crossbow hunting. A lot of difference here and one should never get the two mixed up.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry your an idiot......cross bow hunting is bowhunting except to snobs like yourself

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several things that you're going to have to remember about hunting with a crossbow.

First of all, while it might have a stock, a trigger and a scope, it's NOT a rifle. So you're going to have to still get into your usual bow range in order to make a clean kill. Yes, they do long range shots on TV, but 30 - 40 yards should still be your longest range considered for a lethal shot.

You're going to have to remember that you're only going to get one shot too! While sometimes you can get a second shot off with a vertical bow, cross bows are noisier than a conventional bow and there will be NO chance for a second shot!

Crossbows too are larger, bulkier and nowhere as easy to get into shooting position as a regular bow.

But, IF you take the time to practice shooting at various ranges so you know your arrow's drop, and you understand that you're still going to have to wait for the arrow to do it's job, crossbows are a great hunting tool.

Yes, it is different than a vertical bow, but there's still many things that are the same...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually compound crossbows are noisy. Recurve crossbows such as Kodabow and Excalibur are very quiet, as quiet as any compound. The only advantage with a compound crossbow is that it is more compact. Let off on a crossbow is of no advantage whatsoever. Recurve limbed crossbows are wider and a bit more difficult to wield in some instances but they are far less complicated and much easier to maintain, just as fast, and extremely quiet especially the Kodabow which utilizes split limbs to eliminate string slap. Additionally, a crossbow does not offer any substantial gain in yardage over a compound bow. Without a dead rest most guys would only be able to manage accurate shots up to 30 yards. Vertical compounds are easier to employ afield, especially from treestands where everything is vertical. Crossbows offer no clear advantage over compound bows other than the fact that they are not hand held at full draw but with 80% let off on most all compounds now, that point is almost moot. An average bowhunter can hold at full draw with an 80% let off bow up to 2 full minutes. Having hunted alot with both implements I give full advantage to the compound bow as it's easier to manipulate. Crossbows are clumsy and unwielding at best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Let's see!! "Rifle Hunting" is done with a rifle, "Muzzle loader Hunting" is done with a Muzzle loader, "Shotgun hunting" is done with a shotgun, "Handgun hunting" is done with a handgun, "Bow hunting" is done with a hand held/hand drawn long bow, recurve bow or compound bow, "Crossbow hunting" is done with a mechanical crossbow. I beg to say, "Who is the blittering idiot here"? Looks like you are it barnabus!! dancing Absolutely no comparison or reasoning to indicate "Crossbow hunting" is indeed "Bowhunting". Two seperate types of hunting, period.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by barnabus:
Larry your an idiot......cross bow hunting is bowhunting except to snobs like yourself

It is still a bow with limbs ,string and arrows.By your definition nothing but a Long Bow is really a bow.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go again...Larry is right of course.

A bow utilizes the power of muscles to hold it back a crossbow doesn't. I have a crossbow and I'd love to go crossbow hunting with it. I use my bows for bowhunting.

Why would anyone say "I'm going bowhunting" instead of "crossbow hunting" unless they somehow wanted to justify using the crossbow as a bow...instead of what it is-a crossbow.

Y'all are just riding on the coattails of the folks who fought so hard to legalize bowhunting. The crossbow and to a lesser extent the compound will be the death of archery hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
The crossbow and to a lesser extent the compound will be the death of archery hunting.

For what reason do you claim this? I've been mulling this over and can't seem to find a reason the crossbow, with it's restrictions to only disabled hunters in many states, will lessen the sport of vertical bow hunting? The crossbow opens up archery season for many of us who would otherwise have to skip it due to injury or disability. Id say that helps to grow the sport. I kmow it will certainly allow me to participate in archery season for deer here in CT this year. And I really can't fathom how a compound lessens the sport.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, as I'm really interested in your rationale.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much of what is being written here is nothing more than personal bias. This same bias was present when compound bows came on the scene and the traditionalists screamed foul. In most every state the season in question is called archery season not bow season and in every case where all archery implements were allowed; longbow, recurve, compound, crossbow, no detrimental effect was realized to season lengths, bag limits, overall take, etc. In short, the sky did not fall when crossbows were allowed in general "archery" seasons. Crossbows are short range weapons and offer no clear advantage over modern compounds with 80% letoff. In fact, a crossbow is harder to manipulate and has less effective range without a dead rest than a compound. One need only to hunt with a crossbow for a season or two and they will quickly see how difficult it is to use a horizontal limbed bow in a vertical world. People are entitled to their opinions but so far crossbows have had no negative impact on archery seasons. Crossbows, like all other hunting implements, are alot of fun to shoot and if you want to try one go for it. I mostly hunt with a longbow or recurve but also enjoy my compound and muzzloader. Just started shooting a crossbow for fun and will do more hunting with one this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all if you're legitimately handicapped then go ahead and shoot a crossbow. If you're too weak to shoot a bow then maybe a muzzleloader is a good idea, otherwise do as I do and excercise.

Ken there has been a huge and detrimental impact on bowseasons since the addition of compounds in Alberta.

In Alberta the powers that be, considered that if bowhunting didn't take more than 15% of the harvest then the more liberal seasons would be ok. Guess what? Yup, you guessed it many of our zones have a higher than 15% take by bows-mostly because of the "ultra effectivness" of the compound. So now there are shorter and shorter bow seasons and areas that didn't need a draw for certain animals are on draw. So your statement is patently untrue.

Those of us who don't use modern archery tools still have a very low sucess rate in comparison yet we are lumped together with the more effective compounds and crossbows.

Now add the further impact on game populations by the cross bow and the folks who use it just because they don't want to learn to shoot a bow (not the handicapped) and it's going to decimate a lot of the opportunities of the people who have worked so hard to achieve bowhunting. Remember Fred Bear was instrumental in legalizing bowhunting in North America and we're damned lucky to be able to do it. This coming from someone who's stuck in the UK where there is NO bowhunting of any sort.

So I say anything that's a detriment to bowhunting and the seasons as we know them is a bad thing. I guess we "real" bowhunters just get to sit back and see our opportunities dwindle away while others use more and more effective tools.

I'm not complaining that I won't be able to hunt moose and a deer and an elk every year. I'm worried that my time in the bush will be diminished because I won't even be able to get a tag to get out with my bow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken is right. Here in Tennessee, crossbows are legal to hunt with during the regular archery deer season. When it first happened, there were a ton of crossbows sold to people who believed the hype that they were as accurate as a rifle with only slightly less range.

Well, they hunted with them a season or two, then found out that they have as many, if not more limitations than a vertical bow. There are many used crossbows for sale across the state, with many more gathering dust in a corner somewhere.

The fact of the matter is, whether it's a vertical bow or a crossbow, they both shoot a broadhead equipped arrow. That arrow has to hit in the right place to kill an animal and is subject to as many vagaries of flight as any other bow.

Range estimation is still important, responsible hunters still have to get within 40 yards of their quarry, the arrow has to hit in the right place in order to kill quickly. Blood tracking skills are still important.

I don't hunt with a crossbow, but I don't see where they offer any additional advantage other than the fact that someone can pick one up and shoot with a degree of accuracy.

All other things remain the same...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will defer to those in Alberta for facts about Alberta but so far I have seen zero facts here in the US to suggest that crossbows have had a negative impact on archery seasons. To the contrary actually as archery hunters numbers have increased thus has increased license sales, tags, permit fees, etc. Hunting must be financially viable in order to continue. Our biggest weapon as hunters is the money we bring into the state coffers and the subsequent boon to local economies. Conservation aside, it is money that will determine hunting's future and the more hunters we put afield the more money they spend and the more attractive hunting becomes as an economical force. It's quite selfish to say look what this has done to "me" if the end result is increased positive visibility for hunting in general. I find comments about how easy it is to hunt with a crossbow coming only from those who don't do it and don't even own a crossbow. Do you actually think it is difficult to master a modern compound bow to the point of proficiency at most hunting ranges? Of course not. The modern compound with 80% let off, mechanical triggers (release), scoped sights, sights with built in rangefinders, holographic sights, etc. is more efficient and possesses greater effective range than any crossbow. If I were told I had to kill a deer today I would take my compound without hesitation. They are simply easier to manipulate and hunt with than a crossbow. If you don't own one you cannot comment on their effectiveness as, IMO, they are not really an efficient hunting implement given other options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Calgary is spot on with his comments. And by the way I am in no way opposed to folks hunting with a crossbow, but call it what it is "crossbow hunting" not "bowhunting". I don't agree that "crossbow hunting" and "bowhunting" should be in the same season, but also realize there are only so many "hunting days" available each year to us sportsman. Combining crossbows and real bows in the same season, can result in that overall season being shorter and more restricted in some instances. That is not a good thing.

The more realistic approach would be to combine "crossbow hunting" season with the "muzzle loader hunting" season. These two share a lot more similarites than the other option, such as limited range, fired by a trigger system, normally used with a telescopic sight, single shot by nature, do not need learning a completely new physical/mental disipline, etc.

If you want to "crossbow hunt", great but if you want to "bow hunt" don't take the easy way out by simply calling "crossbow hunting" "bowhunting".

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Here is the snob elitest attitude I speak of in your post above. moon

I no longer hunt with a rifle and prefer to hunt with a handgun for everything from small to large game if I use a firearm at all.So.. Larry just because rifles and handguns shoot bullets,have powder and primmers why dont you shoot all your game with a handgun?.Dont call uing a rifle "sporting" when you can pony up and use a handgun and give the animals a chance.After all isnt a rifle held to the shoulder like a crossbow?....or are you taking the easy way out? diggin

What are you afraid of..somebody gonna shoot more or bigger game than you? I bow hunt and crossbow hunt and have killed more with my Matthews than my Bowtech Stryker.For me its not one or the other...its whatever I want to hunt with on the days I go out.Isnt it interesting that most Game Depts see it as archery and therefore its allowable during archery season? If we changed the name to archery hunting would ya whine then too?Your analogy of putting crossbow in a muzzleloading season is about a dumb an argument as I have ever heard when you tried to point out what was similar. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting with a crossbow is not "bow hunting", it is crossbow hunting. A lot of difference here and one should never get the two mixed up.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Bullshit!

A crossbow is a bow turned sideways not a rifle.

It's more accurate because you aren't holding the string back with your hands while you aim it.

That is the only advantage.

And as far as it not being traditional, crossbows are almost a 1000 years old as an invention. Compounds are about 60 years old.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Moody:
I will defer to those in Alberta for facts about Alberta but so far I have seen zero facts here in the US to suggest that crossbows have had a negative impact on archery seasons. To the contrary actually as archery hunters numbers have increased thus has increased license sales, tags, permit fees, etc. Hunting must be financially viable in order to continue. Our biggest weapon as hunters is the money we bring into the state coffers and the subsequent boon to local economies. Conservation aside, it is money that will determine hunting's future and the more hunters we put afield the more money they spend and the more attractive hunting becomes as an economical force. It's quite selfish to say look what this has done to "me" if the end result is increased positive visibility for hunting in general. I find comments about how easy it is to hunt with a crossbow coming only from those who don't do it and don't even own a crossbow. Do you actually think it is difficult to master a modern compound bow to the point of proficiency at most hunting ranges? Of course not. The modern compound with 80% let off, mechanical triggers (release), scoped sights, sights with built in rangefinders, holographic sights, etc. is more efficient and possesses greater effective range than any crossbow. If I were told I had to kill a deer today I would take my compound without hesitation. They are simply easier to manipulate and hunt with than a crossbow. If you don't own one you cannot comment on their effectiveness as, IMO, they are not really an efficient hunting implement given other options.

Hot damn, I never thought I would agree with Ken Moody.

Nice write up Ken.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I really did not want to start a bow vs crossbow war here! My wife has indicated an interest in "crossbow" hunting...call it what you will. She is physically unable to draw and hold any type of "bow". She tried the crank back type of crossbow and we both decided that it is too noisy and slow so if, IF, she goes down this road it will be with a "crossbow". And I will most likely have to draw it before she gets into the ground blind. Neither of us will do tree stands so this is what we have to deal with. I appreciate the advice from all. Again, I did not mean to start a war!

Please,"can't we all just get along?"

sorry Rodney, I just could not resist that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only are you an idiot larry.......your also a asshat! The more you open that big fat know it all mouth the more you convince everyone you are a jerk! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
ftg767 - In regards to your wife not being able to cock a crossbow and the cranks being noisy - There is a crossbow on the market that uses a compressed air cylinder from paint ball guns to cock and uncock. I saw one in a shop once and it worked well and was very quiet. Just push a button the the bow cocks inself. When it's time to uncock, you just remove the bolt and pull the trigger. No dry fire. The bow just slowly decocks itself. Really neat. I think it was a Parker, but I'm not 100 % sure of the manufacturer. It was however, somewhat pricey. Could be just the thing your wife needs.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
She tried the crank back type of crossbow and we both decided that it is too noisy and slow so if, IF, she goes down this road it will be with a "crossbow".

Personally, I wouldn't worry about cranking the crossbow being too noisy and slow. With how loud they are when shot, the odds are against her ever getting more than one shot at an animal anyway!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Here we go again...Larry is right of course.

A bow utilizes the power of muscles to hold it back a crossbow doesn't. I have a crossbow and I'd love to go crossbow hunting with it. I use my bows for bowhunting.

Why would anyone say "I'm going bowhunting" instead of "crossbow hunting" unless they somehow wanted to justify using the crossbow as a bow...instead of what it is-a crossbow.

Y'all are just riding on the coattails of the folks who fought so hard to legalize bowhunting. The crossbow and to a lesser extent the compound will be the death of archery hunting.

What do these four items have in common?
#1 Long Bow
#2 Compound Bow
#3 Cross Bow
#4 Recurve Bow
The first word is an adjective that describes the second word an object.That object is a BOW .They are all BOWS.Ergo when you take one hunting you are BOW HUNTING. killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
Guys I really did not want to start a bow vs crossbow war here! My wife has indicated an interest in "crossbow" hunting...call it what you will. She is physically unable to draw and hold any type of "bow". She tried the crank back type of crossbow and we both decided that it is too noisy and slow so if, IF, she goes down this road it will be with a "crossbow". And I will most likely have to draw it before she gets into the ground blind. Neither of us will do tree stands so this is what we have to deal with. I appreciate the advice from all. Again, I did not mean to start a war!

Please,"can't we all just get along?"

sorry Rodney, I just could not resist that!

A friend of mine had arthritis so bad he could not cock his cross bow.So one of us would cock it for him.Problem solved.Make sure She gets enough target time to put a good shot on what ever you are hunting and she should be good to go.Good luck,OB Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think crossbows will impact hunting any more than inline muzzleloaders did. That would be to increase participation and getting more hunters afield, which we need in these times of declining hunter numbers.

I personally think more states should have a season, or tag like parts of Nebraska has. It is called Season Choice, and you can use that tag to hunt any season with the appropriate weapon of that season, whatever that may be, (rifle, archery or muzzleloader) with the same tag. Although it is antlerless, I can't eat any more horns anyway, they are just too tough. It most certainly lengthened my season and allowed my daughter to hunt with me on her limited schedule any time she might have been available.

On another note, since crossbows are supposed to be louder, has anyone tried the silencer kit for crossbows that is available from X-Factor? I was just wondering if it would work like the silencers work on compounds.

Crossbow Silencer

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I don't think crossbows will impact hunting any more than inline muzzleloaders did. That would be to increase participation and getting more hunters afield, which we need in these times of declining hunter numbers.

This is the theory I'm subscribing to in this. I'm not quite sure where to find any research to support or refute the idea, though. I'd be interested in reading some if anyone has any.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the crossbow is either an accepted weapon in archery season or rifle season, I doubt there will be any crossbow specific data. It will be just a part of the archery increase.

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Barnybusboy - Are you even old enough to buy a hunting license? Sounds like you live in your mommies basement and have to sneek onto the computor after dark!! Obvious you don't know much about hunting, no matter what the weapon of choice might be. archer Actually namecalling seems to be your strong suit, further indicating your immaturity, or is it that you noticed I am a SCI Life Member and that is what ramps up your ranting? Hope that's it!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Not only are you an idiot larry.......your also a asshat! The more you open that big fat know it all mouth the more you convince everyone you are a jerk! rotflmo

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would I care if you are a sci member? Belonging to that don't impress me or make you respectable.you always have a opinion and most folks on here think your a opinionated know it all. Stop tooting your own horn.....nobody cares. pissers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, not a brag. Figured it must be something since you have that big burr up your arse that incites all the name calling!! I see you didn't answer the question about being old enough to buy a hunting license!! Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCi Life Member

quote:
Why would I care if you are a sci member? Belonging to that don't impress me or make you respectable.you always have a opinion and most folks on here think your a opinionated know it all. Stop tooting your own horn.....nobody cares. pissers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably bought as many as you including those you buy out of state or country.Been hunting for over 35 years.I just call em like I see em' when people try to piss down my back and tell me its raining. old enuff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one for my "ignore" button. What a nice feature on AR.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wont add ya to my ignor list..your too entertaining when ya make a fool of yourself or say something stupid again for me to ever do that. You will look to see whats posted...you already proved you cant help help yourself and you like having the last word. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny post dancing

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wont add ya to my ignor list..your too entertaining when ya make a fool of yourself or say something stupid again for me to ever do that. You will look to see whats posted...you already proved you cant help yourself and you like having the last word. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Real archery hunting is done with long bow only!
With that being said buy a ten point crossbow with accudraw.A 5yr old can cock the bow with this feature. archer

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote