THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Red Dot VS Scope on a crossbow or bow

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Red Dot VS Scope on a crossbow or bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quote:

I will agree with one thing! It is hard to shoot tight groups with the red dot because of the amount of target it covers. I buy the smallest dots I can. I find them much faster to aquire then crosshairs in a scope and you don't have to have your eye right in line, as long as the dot is on the deer it will hit. I use them on all of my revolvers and they are the best for deer. It depends on what is important to you, paper targets or deer. I would put one on a crossbow, but not a compound because it has to be adjusted for every range unless you know exactly how much to hold over or under.
I do use a scope on my Ruger Mark II for squirrels because I have to shoot tighter for head shots. Trouble is that every quiver is magnified and it is hard to hold still.
I also agree with the other poster that a crossbow can break cheap scopes.

I use a scope on my Encore 308 and prefer it over a dot. If the scope is adjusted right it is just as fast as a dot and I prefer the 2x magnification and the more precise aiming. I have shot 3 deer with a scope on a pistol and non with a red dot. Killed 2 deer with a dot on the crossbow but really did not care for the iffy groups I got with it. If that CHEAP dot held up to my Crossbow I am sure a scope will. Like I said I think Compound Crossbows expecially the ones with cams have more snap to them that would screw up cheap scopes over a recurve bow. Jim

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, my Horton is a 150lb compound. I would still keep an eye on your zero. I would hate to miss a deer because of a failed scope. My scope broke during a practice session.

Good luck this season!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have a red dot on my shotgun and love it on that I have not really been satisfied with them on any rifle or pistol. I had one on my encore 308 and took it off as the scope was much more precise and the encore is so accurate it would be a shame not to get all the accuracy it can deliver. I still have one I suppose I could put on a plinker. I did not even like it on my Muzzle loader. Well last year when I bought a Entry level Barnett Crossbow it came with a cheap red dot. Crossbows do not need anything real sturdy as some may think a cheap air gun /22 scope or red dot will take any thing a crossbow will deliver. Well the red dot was good enough to allow me to shoot 2 deer with it last year but I was not that happy with the accuracy. SO this year I looked for a used cheap scope at the gun shops and rummage sales none were to be found. SO finally I called Wally world and asked about a cheap 22/airgun scope (3/4 inch) as My crossbow model came with either a red dot or a scope like that when I bought mine the only one they had left came with the red dot. Well wally world had a cheap and I mean Cheap BSA for under 8 bucks I put it on and went to try it out yesterday. Well I got rained out yesterday sighting it in but did shoot 6 bolts will go back and fine tune it today to center the target. In the 6 bolts I shot the last 3 were in a tight cluster some thing I never got with the red dot which you would think at bow ranges would work just as good. Well it does not the scope is better by far. Darned if this scope even though it is cheap it does work well for this application. Also this Barnett bow is a lightweight model I might put a compact scope on in the future if I found on but the 22 scope fits in looks and weight Looking forward to getting it centered on target today. While a expensive crossbow scope with the built in crosshairs for different ranges would be nice this scope will do just fine as when I bow hunted I only used one pin and used Kentucky windage when shooting at different distances I can and will do the same with the scope.
Got her sighted in today and its perfect! @ 10 yards aim a couple inches low at 20 right on at 30 aim a couple inches high to put them right in there. Lots better than the red dot for sure!
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yes, my Horton is a 150lb compound. I would still keep an eye on your zero. I would hate to miss a deer because of a failed scope. My scope broke during a practice session.

Good luck this season!

True good luck to you also. Scopes can fail on guns also so hard to say if it was the crossbow or the scope just went bad? Hard to say unless your crossbow has ate a few more scopes. That would be a bum deal! I do know that Barnett ships these cheap scopes with this bow as it is a entry level bow yet well made and accurate for the money. The more I think about the cam situation I think I could be right on this as My last bow is a Martin Wheel bow that I bought as I had a Jennings cam bow before and it wrecked cables and shot with more noticable "recoil" than my later Martin Wheel bow. When the place I bought the bow from contacted Jennings for me they would not do anything for me as they stated due to the nature of Cams on bows Cables should be replaced every year???? Not something I have heard of before. So I bought a wheel bow instead of one with cams and have not had a problem since. To be fair I think Cams have come a long way since then like the bows with only one cam ect. Just making the observation that I think the Cams do have more felt recoil which may affect scopes more. DO not know for sure but sounds reasonable to me. Jim