New
Find
Notify
Tools

Release Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently shoot a 10+ year old browning Trophy Reflex compound--57 lbs at 29". I want to try a release but am confused by the myriad models available. Anyone got a recommendation for a simple, beginner's level release? And, to open an even bigger can of worms, what type rest should I use?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I use a ten year old caliper release by TruBall. It velcros onto my wrist so I cannot "lose" it after I start hunting. Some people find the velcro a downside, but I like it.

I woould recommend a caliper that releases from the center, other than that I think whether it's a grip or strap is a matter of personal preference.

As in the previous thread, I think the QAD UltraRest is very hard to beat. I forgot to say in that thread that the Muzzy Zero Effect seems to have too many "fiddly bits" to me. I've never shot one but it just seems to have too many failure points for hunting use.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TRUBALL! Without a doubt.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Have tried a bunch of them -- Been using Scott Archery for years. They are very crisp and consistent, and have never let me down in the field -- Haven't found a compelling reason to switch.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
My last few have been Caliper type from Cobra.

I would recommend them.

I've tried the kind that release from the side but, didn't like them as much as the kinf that have the pinchers and release from the middle.

I just tried one of the new high dollar hook style that you just hook onto your loop. It was terrible IMO, I guess I'd just have to get used to it but, it was uncomfortable and I didn't shoot very accurately while using it.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I've been using the scott wolf for years works great. I have never owned a trubal but I have used one at the range a couple of times and they are nice too.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, I'll run to Cabela's this week and check theirs out--fortunately they are only about 25 miles from here. Big Grin

Also, does the truball hook to the string directly, use a loop, or hook to one of the metal "D" shaped devices that attach to the string?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use the Tru-ball either way. I would use a loop because I have broken strings by putting the release on them. ANY release directly on the sring is not a good idea. Too much force in too small of an area.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My typing is getting out of hand, miss letters!

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I use the Tru-ball Tornado.
I hook directly to the string. It's fast, convienient. and trouble free.
If your serving shows any wear you simply take it to your pro shop and they will reserve it for you. It cost next to nothing and takes little time to do.
Metal "D" loops add weight and are tough on the caliper jaws on the release. String loops are better, both shorten your draw length.
One thing that I really like about the Tornado is the ability to simply tuck in into my shirt sleeve when not in use (like pulling arrows from a target). It is adjustable for weight of pull too. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one pro shop around here is anything but cheap--$37.50 for a replacement string installed and nocking point installed.

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
WOW! Your right, thats not cheap! Our pro shop will re-serve a string on any bow purchased there for free. Others pay a very minimal fee to cover materials and a little time.
I've never seen a string break at the serving either. Thats the point of the serving in the first place. Those I've observed and the one I've broken myself were all at the cam.
YMMV, but the use of string loops seems to be regional. None of the hunters I know (elk, mostly) shoot loops. There isn't a single shooter on our techno hunt leagues that uses them to my knowledge. They do show up at the 3D shoots though and work very well.
Everyone should shoot whatever make them happy. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been using Scott caliper releases since 1990. I like them very much.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Tru Fire Hurricane glove. The glove itself is comfortable as heck, but the trigger feel is nothing like a scott. Dustoffer, you should get a portable bow press like the Bowmaster(I have one), and change strings and serve yourself. Although the archery shop is expensive, they should not mind showing you how to do those things. The shop that I get my stuff from does not mind showing me stuff, and I ask for help all the time.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Fletch Hunter shorty, connected to my wrist strap with a nylon strap. Easy to adjust and comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tru ball tornado, its the only one that fits my large hand. Fold it back and tuck it under your sleeve while climbing, I wouldn't use anything else.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the release aid God gave me....fingers. Relax them slowly and they never fail, also very hard to lose them or forget them at home!!!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not so hard if you butcher your own game lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
My strings break under the serving. The serving will show no wear at all. I shoot 80# and up and it is really tough on a string. A lighter bow might have a string last until you decide to change it, but mine won't. Going to the loop makes them last longer.
I can shoot fingers and have a string last for many, many years. I just switched to a release a short time ago for two bows. I still shoot fingers with my third bow and the string never goes bad.

One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
I use a Pro Release Silver Bullet, it fastens with a buckle, not velcro, much faster, works great!!! jumping

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote