New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scent attractants
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While we're on the topic of scents. What are the opinions out there regarding attractant scents?

My observations:

Buck in heat scent--the most dramatic exit I've ever seen a buck pull off. He followed the scent then came where I'd contaminated the trail accidentially with my scent. He ran-and ran-and ran.

Burning scent sticks--burning they seemed to attract a lot of does with fawns. I did leave some in the back of the truck though (not burning!!)and coming back that night I spooked 2 nice bucks who had their noses in the back of the truck cap!!!

Doe in heat--no takers.

I have the most luck with no scent and calling/decoying.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If there is one I just live by, It would have to be Tink's 69.

I Have taken some pretty nice bucks slipin' in to my Tink's 69 cans. During the rut, I don't leave home w/o it.

Now, after you have used 69 for a while and get used to the smell, you will notice that some bottles you buy don't smell right or smell very different than they are supposed to. I believe that is because it is old stock and has been on the shelf to long. I try to avoid buying it at places that stock it all year long(Bass Pro and other Hunting stores) and just buy from places that get it seasonally.

Another good tip on tinks is using a fresh amount every time you go in the field. The scent bombs Tink's sells are alright but they are only good for about a day or two because they are to difficult to get the old scent out of them. The best way I've found to put out Tinks or any other scent is by going to a photo developing store and getting a sack full of 35mm film canisters then, get some electrical tape and some cotton balls or tissue paper. Take the elec. tape and wrap about 3 wraps around the center of the canister and put a couple of cotton balls or some tissue in the canisters. You can just put a few drops of scent in each can, snap on the cap, and you are ready to go. I just apply the scent to the cans before ach hunt and put the cans in my pack or pocket. Now, for the electrical tape, when you get to your hunting spot think about where you want your scent cans and just peel back a couple of inches of the electrical tape, place the can up to a limb, stick the tape back down to the can, and pop off the cap. It's a good way to put out your scent w/o getting messy scent all over yourself and when you are through using the scent you can just sling out the cotton balls, rinse w/ water, and put in some more.

I've had bucks come running to Tinks before. I've seen them moving quickly down deer trails and when they passed down wind of the Tinks they'd slam on the brakes and come have a look see.

A good friend of mine said he was hunting in a climber one day and forgot to put out his scent cans so, he just sprinkled some tinks out of the tree onto the ground. He said that a young 8pt came in up wind from him and after coming pretty close the buck finally looked straight up in the tree at him, stared a minute, and spooked & ran. He said that that buck spooked to the down wind direction and as soon as he got down wind that the buck nearly cut a flip stopping, put his nose in the air, walked right up to the tree he was in, and started pawing the ground at the base of the tree (straight under his climber). All of that after being spooked!!! If that doesn't say something about thi particular scent, I don't know what will!

What some people don't realize is the proper time to use these types of scent. If you put it out at the wrong time of the season, it's probably going to spook the deer But, if you put it out when it is the rut, It can be golden. I usually don't start putting out Tink's until I see scrapes or see bucks chasing.

I don't particularly buy into all of the garb that Tinks is currently producing like the powder, gel, stick, candles, etc. To me it smells different than the original, I prefer the Original liquid Tink's 69.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Reloader the rut is the best for DIH, but they will check it out throughout the year from what I see.

Who knows what goes on inside a buck mind or what he sees or smells prior to an observation, leading to one's conclusion about a scent's effectiveness?

For my money, I would say the newer it is to the buck the better, repeated applications lose the appeal or perhaps the additional ground time gives him room to ferret out your scent in it. Although in the rut, they appear less concerned about humans. They are nosey opportunists. First time is the best time.

Whatever smells the best to you as being doe-in-heat probably smells the best to him as well. A male dog makes a handy barometer.

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote