New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Meter Bow Shot!?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66977 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly cannot fire a thousand arrows in one session! Having said that, I would have thought that bow draw weight would be a major factor. Anyone here shoot flight archery? How does arrow weight factor in? I am thinking of bullet weight in rifle shooting ie. lighter bullets lose speed quicker than heavier ones.
As I recollect in the Battle of Hittin, the Moslem archers surprised the Crusaders by using bows held against their feet and pulled by both arms, giving them an extraordinary range.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
With only a 35-pound pull weight recurve, but very special arrows, with tiny, low drag fletching and slim shaft, taking 40 hours to make each arrow and costing 300 pounds per dozen?
Do they deploy wings at the top of the arc and glide? Was there some jet stream assist above the ground wind?
Fascinating, Formula One Flight Archery ... fun sport!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

you need to make the trip to Bonneville some summer to see the shoot.

The arrows are minimum 26" length and smaller diameter than knitting needles. Fletch? You have longer whiskers on your face if you skip shaving three days.
Very specialized equipment in some classes.
Shots over 900 yards have been recorded.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Shots over 900 yards have been recorded.

Rich

Holy crap!!!! Eeker

I have "aired out" pretty much every hunting bow I've ever owned. In my younger days I shot bows in the low to mid 90's of pounds of draw weight. 330-350 yards is about all I could ever get out of any of them.

900 yards is incredible!!!!

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What did Harry Drake say, "Break the String, break the bow...break the record." Those old school flight shooters literally pushed the limits each and every time they took a shot. NEat folks there...

One of Us
Picture of Jacko303.35
posted Hide Post
Certainly an impressive feat - good luck to the lad. Obviously puts in a lot of effort for such rewards.

As pointed out - before break the string, break the bow, break the record - flight shooters literally push these limits. With attention to bow tuning, modern low stretch, high breaking strand bow string material it is quite possible to get by with 2 or 3 strands in the string for such light draw bows, makes for incredible cast due to less mass in the string. Add to this the synthetic lamination technology in those ILF bow limbs for incredible rigidity and limb speed, Specially profiled and low mass arrows I have no doubt he could break his own records, particularly as he grows and draws longer.

regards Jacko

"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin

Posts: 34 | Location: Sth East Qld Australia | Registered: 02 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of homgoreb
posted Hide Post
Eish... Eeker archer

Posts: 25 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote