THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Missed opportunities from the ground

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missed opportunities from the ground
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted
Help, please.

I bow hunt deer from the ground and have been having some trouble drawing back without being seen.

The "blind" is a small group of very short Russian olive trees (more like bushes) located between an alphalfa field and a bedding area. I've hunted this place for 20 years and have done extremely well from this exact spot, mainly with a rifle. I've taken one nice buck with my bow from this spot.

To prep the blind over the years I've layed down dead branches, tangles, etc. up about 2 feet high in front of where I sit. I have to replace it every year as cows like to lay in the same spot and scatter the cover. I regulary get does and smaller bucks to walk up within three yards, feeding right in front of me. Tons of fun when I bring the kids or friends.

However, the last two times shooter bucks have walked up I get ready, holding my bow upright and ready to draw long before they get within range, still somewhat hidden by the brush in front of me.

Of course the bucks seem to have always had a smaller buck in front of them, which has been a problem.

Regardless, when they get in range it seems like if I move a muscle they bolt a few yards, hardly giving me time to draw back and sight the pin and shoot.

I need to be able to draw concealed and get off a shot! I can't use one of the ground blinds; someone tried that and the deer noticed it from far, far away and never came close. These deer walk this trail every day all year and notice small changes.

The area is a wide open field, the ground blind is the first bit of cover that's about 200 yards up wind from their bedding area. No chance for a tree stand.

Also, its on public land

Any suggestions on what to do or add to the ground blind? I may have to add more cover up vertically and choose lanes to shoot through.

Thanks

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get some camo netting.
If you put the camo netting infront of you, the naturab brush on the outside, you will be suprised how well it works.

It make it much harder for the animals to see the movement they are seeing "between the leaves".

It ia very light weight and easy to carry.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem in a blind I made with branches etc. it's easy to get the animals too close to you where you can't get the shot off. You could make some shooting holes to shoot through the branches. You could use a decoy out in front to get their attention away from you-maybe 30 yards out. Or you could make a gillie suit and sit in front of the cover and you'd be surprised how well that will work.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
Get you a Double Bull, or Ameristep pop-up blind and your problem is solved. I can draw on turkeys inside of 15 yards from one. I can set there and read books, smoke, eat, take a leak or whatever I want to. Now with deer you can't smoke or do anything else that would cause an alarming odor, and they pay a little more attention to the blind than turkeys do but they are easy to draw on as long as they are a few yards away and arent staring right at you.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think I'll try some camo netting first. A double bull would be nice but there's no where to put it "in" the blind, might bring one over and give it a try though.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, have drawn on turkey within 15 yards of my pop-up blind and they didn't see me. I think that might be your solution.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote