Find
Notify
Tools

Double Checking myself
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ARhunter42019
posted
Alright, here's the sitch... my arrows are Gold Tip 5575 Expedition Hunters, they are cut to a 29" length, they have the 3" Duravanes, and weigh about 374 gr.with a 100gr. tip... my speed from my Buckmaster's Bow is about 268... my question is will this set-up be sufficient for taking out deer, ferral pig, and wild turkey? P.S. i am also shooting 100gr. mechanical broadheads that instead of a normal tip have a fixed blade on the front end (Eastman Outfitters FirstCut ST3 85/100 Titanium) if you want to take a look and see what i am talking about.

The chainsaw says: Run Kit Kitt Kitty

Posts: 84 | Location: Cat Hell, where cats suffer | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
As far as total arrow your're fine for Whitetail & Turkey. I think you'd have more advantage with a heavier arrow for boar.

I don't care for mechiancals at all.

At least concider a two blade cut on impact head for your boar hunting. The largest on I've killed was 325 field dressed, his shield was almost 3" thick over the vitals.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ARhunter42019
posted Hide Post
Boss, it is a cut on impact, but it is also a mechanical... it's like a hybrid, which is one reason i chose this particular model... it has about a 1/2" wide blade complete with razor sharp tip on the front end.

The chainsaw says: Run Kit Kitt Kitty

Posts: 84 | Location: Cat Hell, where cats suffer | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ARhunter, your rig is more than adequate for all the game you mentioned. Fred Bear once said that hunting with arcehry equipment is basically 'shooting a knife'. I think that says it all when you think about shot placement with an arrow. I have seen some spectacular penetration with bows and arrows, but I always think of Fred's advice, and try to make a shot that would be the same as if I was standing beside the target with a knife on a stick.

I also dislike mechanicals, I haven't ever realized the advantage of a mechanical head, fixed blades fly fine for me. Having said that, I like the one you selected as mechanicals go, and you will enjoy plenty of success with your rig! I have taken large Russian boar with bow/arrow combos of similar specifications as well as really large Mule Deer, Elk and many other NA species.

Having said that, I find it laughable when people talk about penetration on bone with archery gear. It should be purely an accident if you hit anything other than a rib bone when archery hunting for big game. I am capable of drawing in excess of 100 lbs. and could do so comfortably enough to hunt with that draw weight.
I hunt with a draw weight of 68-70 lbs. for my compounds. I would hunt any species in the world with my rig. ANY. Thinking of cracking a shoulder bone on a cape Buffalo just because you have a very heavy draw weight and heavy arrow is simply assanine. That should only be an accident! shame(hitting a shoulder bone on a big game animal) Penetration of average size SE USA whitetail shoulders is not really an issue unless you hit on the joint junction, which is really tough, but otherwise even the most powerful rigs simply aren't going to propel an arrow to the point where breaking bone at impact is something that should be part of a planned shot.

I hope I didn't wander off of the info you were looking for, I just want to share some real world experience! Get your confidence up on yardage estimation and sock em in the boiler room, you'll be golden!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
AR = On the Turkey & Deer you should be o.k..

I've killed 9 hogs Bowhunting & been witness to a few dozen more with friends. IMHO A boar is the toughest animal to kill in the lower 48 states. I f that head doesn't open properly I'm afraid your not going to get your game.

If your interested contact a few game ranches and ask them about the gospel on Mechanicals....Many do not allow them....for proven reasons.

I try not to get ob a soap box about tack...it's your hunt. Myself I try to eliminate as many things that can go wrong with my gear. One less moving part(Mechanical head) one less thing to go wrong.

I'd think that with your bow there are plenty of two blade heads that would fly good for you.

Good Luck on your hunt!

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm just not a fan of mechs even on rabbity SC whitetails. I'd never shoot one at pig.

Mechs might work fine on perfect shots, but most are not perfect!

I'd put a 125 gr Muzzy 3 blade at the very least on that setup. They are not cut on contact, but they are tough and reliable.

Better still would be a 125 SteelForce, cut on contact 2 or 4 as you wish.

Good luck,

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Do the math, my algebra teacher used to say. Using the standard formula for figuring kinetic energy (KE=mv2/450240) or 374x268x268/450240 you end up with 59.66lbs of kinetic energy. That's a significant amount of umpfff to penetrate your pig. However, energy gets slumped off pretty quickly using mechanicals and energy drops off quicker with a light weight arrow vs a heavy shaft. I know of plenty of archers shooting hogs with 350gr arrows and shooting completely through them with mechanicals, but I tend to err on the side of conservatism. My setup is 415gr@256fps for 60.41lbs of KE. Not much different than yours, but on close range pigs, you may do better using a fixed blade. If your having tuning problems with broadheads, try some of the new smaller blades(Thunderhead Nitron or American Archery).

Good luck!!

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote