New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got me a hog...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
WEll after last year getting back into archery after some twenty some odd years, having several chances to take hogs and yotes within range but missing for one reason or another, I was finally redeemed last weekend with a nice 100# sow.

This isn't exactly the one I was after but will taste just as good or better off the pit. The Razortrik broadhead did an awesome job going through the onside shoulder, and two ribs on entry, and exiting through two offside ribs going out. Recovery was only about 30yds max.

Had the shot on a second one and still am not sure just what happened with the shot. I haven't found the arrow, or any signs of a hit. The hog seems non worse for the encounter when it high tailed it out of there when I touched off the 44 I had with me also. I do have to admit however I was pretty well pumped about that time also. LOL

Anyway hope to get the big one I am after sometime next weekend. Hopefully the quick recon I did will pay off after I get the stand set up and ready.

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you on your hog.. beer

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet it felt good to get the hog off your back! Congrats.

Learn from Yesterday
Live in Today
Live for Tomorrow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy Hunter:
I bet it felt good to get the hog off your back! Congrats.

WEll I had several opportunities during the fall of last year and to be honest I was pretty excited to get the chance with my bow and combined with not ranging them I blew every chance.

I headed out the door this morning with the bow, and was wandering how things might go as I stepped on my glasses and broke hell out of them on Friday while installing a new water line at my mom's place in the country. Figured that up close it wouldn't me an issue.

So, I get out in the middle of the yard and see something down in the pasture, being damn early and also not seeing too clear at distances I head beack in and grab up a pair of bino's. Sure enough it was a sow going about 200#. Noi way to get in close with her out in the middle of the pasture so I headed back in and grabbed up my daughter/grandson's 6.5x55 and back out in the yard I went. IT was no issue to settle the cross hair right behind the ear and send one down range watching it do a nose plant.

She was pretty drawn up and not in too good a shape so I took her back to the back for the rest of the critters to enjoy.

Still in all it was a hoot even if I didn't get it with the bow.

Mike / Tx