THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Roger Whittall and "Save" bowhunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roger Whittall and "Save" bowhunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for references.
Has anyone done a plains game bowhunt in the Zimbabwe Save Concession with Roger Whittall?

Posts: 33 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there twice in the 90's and had a great hunt both times. Took really nice trophies and found the Whittal clan to be some very hospitable people.At that time the place was crawling with warthog and impala.Also took eland and bushbuck. Good herd of elephants and widely known as a good leopard destination. Roger was generous with his time and really impressed me.

The first time over I hunted with Mush Nichols and the second time with his son Kim. Both were excellent PH's. I do not know if either of them still hunt with Roger.

Sorry I cannot give you more current data.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted there in June 2008 with the Whittals. Guy was my PH. My first trip to Africa, and it couldn't have been better!! Took impala, zebra, warthog, giraffe, elephant, wildebeest, baboons....I would do it again. We stalked buff morning and evening, sitting waterholes at noontime. And I got the trophies out in a timely fashion given that I needed to wait for the ele hide to be tanned.
I highly recommend them.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you took the elephant with a bow?( that was the original question). congratulations!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
DEW

I have not bow hunted Roger's Humani area but i have hunted there twice 2001 and 2005 and i will be hunting there again in 2011 i am just in the process of organising the hunt.

Humani has great populations of Plainsgame. The Kudu are excelent and the bushbuck. There are plenty on Eland, Warthog, Impala, Duiker, Bushbig, Wildbeest, Zebra and Baboons you can shoot all day. Humani also has the Big Five.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
I hunted there twice in the 90's and had a great hunt both times. Took really nice trophies and found the Whittal clan to be some very hospitable people.At that time the place was crawling with warthog and impala.Also took eland and bushbuck. Good herd of elephants and widely known as a good leopard destination. Roger was generous with his time and really impressed me.

The first time over I hunted with Mush Nichols and the second time with his son Kim. Both were excellent PH's. I do not know if either of them still hunt with Roger.

Sorry I cannot give you more current data.

Eyedoc, Small world, I hunted with Mush in 95 at Humani and killed a 54" Kudu. Do you know where he is at these days?

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, elephant with my bow...nice bull...49#, 53# with a 90# Hoyt.. of note, the bh was a razorcap....it was 3# SCI for a few minutes then another was entered above it.

Go with Roger and Ann's operation and maybe you will see Jimmy, the pet rhino.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to see Jimmy next year. The last time i was on Humani Ann was looking after a Buffalo Cow. I think she has a new project now in the shape of a vulture.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
I have bow hunted there on a few occasions with mush. Best bow hunting you can find. Impala, bushpig, warthog, wildebeest,and not to mention the 'unshootables' that you incounter. Brilliant

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

I was hoping for a nyala. I hope I can run across one

Posts: 33 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted "next door" at Mokore to Whittal's Humani last year. My PH said that Roger has a lot of Nyala over there (He was Mush's brother, Hilton, who also does some work for Roger on occasion)

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hilton gave me the arrows I used on the elephant...I hadn't brought heavy enough arrows, but Hilton had a few in his back room.

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
The Whittals operation is excellent and they are an extremely hospitable and friendly bunch of people. There are a number of excellent PHs that operate through Humani. Guy(Rogers son) is one of them . Bow hunting is excellent throughout the Save and most operations have good blinds and tree stands.

Hope that helps.....If there is anything else I can help with ask away as i will be hunting there from the 29th of May....yeeha!!

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote