THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Elephant Charge with bow, what to do?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Charge with bow, what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted
Out of curiosity, I want to hear from some of you serious bow hunters on what do you do when you are hunting elephant with a bow and it charges? I had the pleasure of guiding one of very good clients last year who is an avid bow hunter. We were hunting all of the Big 4 and he wanted to take them all with his bow, which is great as I have done it several times with other clients. This particular hunt went perfect in that everything happened like clock work. The only problem on this hunt is that my client would get the shakes everytime we got close to the animal he could either not pull the bow back or missed from shaking. I knew that this safari was going to be different after the first 3 buffalo stalks and he could not pull his 90 pound bow back. He eventually shot a buffalo with a spare rifle so we could put baits up. He also ended up shooting zebra, impala with the spare rifle. Everyday back at camp i would make him practice on the sand bags, which seemed to be fine for him. On day 4 sat in a lion blind and sure enough a beautiful manned lion camp to the bait and was exactly 23 yards from us. My client tried to pull the bow back for 5 minutes, but could not. He finally got it pulled back was shaking too much. He let the arrow go and missed the lion by 2 feet. The lion heard the noise and decided to investigate our blind. At 5 yards away, the client could not pull the bow back again, so I handed him the spare rifle again. he shot the lion with the rifle. Day 5, the exact same thing happened again, but in a leopard blind. My client just could not pull the bow back when it came to the moment to shoot. I told him to relax and we would come back the next day and try again. day 6, leopard in the tree at 18 yards, Again, finally got it pulled back. The arrow stuck in the tree 2 feet to the right of the leopard. The leopard jumped and ran off. Day 7, same leopard in the tree at 4:30 pm. Client looked at me and asked if he could use my 470. he got a beautiful leopard with my double. I really pushed him on the point of if he really wanted to get close to an elephant with his bow, and and he assured me that he could hit an elephant! So, day 10 we get up to a good elephant and we are about 20 yards. He was trying his hardest to pull the bow back, when the elephant turned and came. I knew that it was a mock charge and stood my ground making him stop at about 10 yards. I did not realize it, but my client was at a full sprint and had left his bow behind. The elephant now turned and started to walk away but threatening to turn back at any moment. I got the client back up with me and asked him if he was still ready to do this with a bow or if he wanted a rifle, as the next time that elephant turns, it will not be a mock charge and I would have to shoot the elephant. Followed the elephant and got the client to within 15 yards this time and told him to shoot the elephant behind the front leg. The client did get the bow pulled back this time, but as soon as he was at full draw the elephant turned and started coming.

Now, what would you do as the client or as the PH? The client let the arrow go wildly when he saw the elephant turn and start coming, I saw the client fall down as he tried to run, which i told him not to do. My tracker pulled the client up and shoved a 458 Lott into his hands, at the same time as I was telling him to shoot. Believe it or not the client actually got his round off and hit the elephant in the forehead a little high, but at 5 yards now I was not taking anymore chances and let my double speak and put the bull down with 2 470 bullets. I told the client to put another saftey round in the brain again and he was happy. We were both covered with sweat by this time!

So, this bow hunter who had praticed for a year with his 90 pound bow, ended up not shooting one animal with it. This client has been bow hunting for 10 years as well. In 21-days he shot 2 buffalo, 1 lion, 1 leopard, 1 elephant, 1 hippo, 1 crocodile, 1 wildebest, 2 hartebeest, 2 impala, 1 warthog, 1 bushbuck, 1 zebra, 1 sable and 1 eland all with my spare rifle.

As bow hunters yourselves, what would you have done on the above safari? Would you have taken the animals with rifle or kept trying with the bow? it was perfect target shooting at camp, but in the bush it was a different story. I do not know why except for sheer excitment and maybe fear that he could not pull the bow back when it was time. I think that most PH's would have shot the elephant on the first charge as well, but when dealing with bow hunters, I think we tend to be more patient which puts everyone else in danger.

I enjoy bow hunting myself and have several bow hunting clients who are very accurate with the their bows and I do not hesitate to take them hunting as they shoot better with their bows than some people do with rifles. I had another client shoot the big 5 with his bow and every single animals was a one arrow kill. Have a video of his hunts as well to prove it can be done. But this was a very odd safari in that this client is a good bow hunter and has shot rhino and buffalo before with a bow, but just could not get the job done on this safari. He thinks that he is getting too old, but I think that it was just the pure excitment of being so close and scared.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt elephants, but I probably would have taken the client's bow around day 2.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari12,
I truly understand the reasoning for wanting to get as close as possible for the shot. Arrow energy bleeds off rapidly and penetration is of the utmost importance. Also, just as important is the range estimation and the increased potential for a high or low hit when the estimation is in error at 35yd versus 15 or 20yds. I personnally feel most comfortable shooting game in the 25 to 35 yard range. The apprehension associated with being discovered when the game is in that range bracket is dramatically lessoned, in my mind at least. The shots that I have taken within the 25 to 35yd range have all, without exception been just as relaxed as if I were shooting practice on my home range. I cannot say that for those that I have taken, albeit just as successfully, when the game was within spitting distance. I know I felt more tension and adrenaline rush on the close shots.

I am curious, what kind of arrows and broadheads do your hunters typically use on dangerous game? Just in case I decide our PA whitetails grow to such a size that they become DG I may want to begin to gear up.

posted Hide Post
Adam,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, the challenge of bowhunting dangerous game is to see if you can handle the pressure. None of us know what we will do until the moment arrives. As the PH, we depend on you to get us in range of a good animal and give us the opportunity to make the shot. If we can't, all bets are off and it is up to you to use your best judgment to keep everyone safe at that point.

Someday I want to see if I can overcome the "pucker" and make a good stalk and shot on a cape buff.

Doug

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I think you were right to give him the bennifit of the doupt on the 1st panic attack. No offence, AFTER the second panic attack you were a bit irresponsible in letting him continue with the bow. You would have done him and the game a favor by telling him you'd only guide him if he hunted with a rifle at that point, even if it cost you in trophy fee money.

Morals vs, money....that will be huntings downfall.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Boss Kongoni, I do not think that it was irresponsble at all, and think that it was along the line of me being patient and respecting my clients wish to hunt with a bow. He is the one who paid for the hunt and it was the way he wanted to hunt. He and I both knew as we had already agreed that if he did not hit the animal right with the first arrow, that I would shoot the animal. But I had to give him the chance to do his thing as this was his hunt and his dream. I did offer for him to use the rifle on every occassian and always had an extra rifle for him to use when ever he wanted. Bow hunting the DG is very challenging and not something that you just give up on as you have to hunt them harder and wiser which is why bow hunting can be fun. It is not about everything being easy or giving up if because the client gets nervouse or the shot is no good. With bow hunting DG everything has to be perfect and why it takes a lot of patience. I have had rifle hunters get nervous and more animals wounded by rifle hunters, but this does not mean that they should stop trying or hunting. This type of hunting when hunting for DG is not sitting at a waterhole in a blind, and is totally different and could make any experienced hunter nervous. I have to respect each clients dreams and do what i can to turn those dreams into memories. If this attitude is irresponsible, then yes, I am guilty.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari12, you have been tried by your own testimony, and the jury (me) finds you guilty of gross support of your client's desires. You are hereby sentenced to continue to suport your clients in the way you have been doing to date. Anyone who has taken a person hunting anything threatening understands that people are very unpredictable when the chips are down. In my opinion you did the right thing!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I enjoy bowhunting more than any other type! But i also feel it requires much more practice and time. If I ever had the chance to bowhunt DG if it was with traditional gear I would have to be able to put the time in to shoot at least 6 times a week and twice a day on the weekends. If i used a compound I would feel OK shooting 4 or 5 times a week. I always say take your worst shot of practice and that will be your shot while hunting. If thats still a killing shot you are set.
One must also consider that shooting targets doesnt transfer to animals always. To me preparing for a bowhunt of DG would almost be a full time job.
To answer your original question I would have swapped the bow for a gun after the first or second miss.(when you screw up with a bow it always seems to just snowball) I would have been thankful to get off without wounding an animal.
Safari12 did you guide this hunter yourself? If so you sound like someone i would hunt with. You understand bowhunting and have MORE than enough patients with your hunters. Not to mention it sounds like you can get a man CLOSE.
Thanks for the story
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Adam - As I said I wasn't trying to flame you but, you DID ask what experienced bowhunters thought. You DID want an HONEST answer didn't you???

If you just wanted a pat on the back and an atta boy. I would have surfed on.

The man showed you on several aminals that he couldn't break that bow over and be accurate with it. But you both keep hunting anyway. I just do not agree your actions dream or no dream and no amount of money is worth your soul. Part of being a professional is knowing when enough is enough.

And HELL yes bowhunting anything is hard enough let alone DG. Africa for Big 5 or in the back forty whitetails if one's not ready the should wait until they are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From an outsider looking in, I feel the customer prevails.

Persistance is an important part of bowhunting. If I were to plunk down the kind of money it takes to shoot one of these relatively easy to kill animals, I would as soon take pics as shoot one with a rifle, but that's me.

I guess you never know for sure until you find out but I think I'd have the quakies moreso over the amount of money I'm dropping when I let the arrow than the beast itself.

Fees, shipping, taxidermist, new addition to show the thing... I'm already shakin thinkin about Illinois this coming fall.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
tonto, thanks for the imput and yes I guided this hunt myself.

boss kongoni, no, I am not looking for a pat on the back and do want honest opinions as I am curious to see what some of you other bow hunters think. I like to know how some of you think, so I myself know how to hunt other bow hunters. From what I am seeing so far, most of the replies are from people who think the same way i do, and that is that no matter what happens, you keep on trying and do not give up. With a hunter like you, I would have to act differently and would have to back out of a situation if you started to shake or missed a shot and tell you to give up on bow hunting. This is very helpful to me for future hunts, but I am always a strong believer in patience and giving the hunter all of the chances that I can regardless of how good or bad he is with a bow or rifle. When was the last time you were 10-20 yards from a buffalo, lion, leopard or elephant? Even we as PH's get excited at that distance, and can only expect a client with less experience to be very excited and nervous.

I have had rifle hunters miss a leopard at 25 yards in a blind. I can not tell them to give up on hunting because they got nervous and missed? It should not be any different with a bow hunter either, and they should get the same effort and chances that a rifle hunter gets, IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think most clients will value a PH who does his best to fulfill the client's wishes.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Well Adam if you realy wanted honest answers why are you getting so pissy about mine?

"With a hunter like you, I would have to act differently and would have to back out of a situation if you started to shake or missed a shot and tell you to give up on bow hunting."

I agreed that you should have given him a 2nd chance, it was the 3rd & 4th that I question. A hunter like me??? Mister you should have enough respect for hunting & game that you step up & do the right thing regaurdless of how much MONEY is at stake. I think you just tring to get right with your guilty conscince.

"When was the last time you were 10-20 yards from a buffalo, lion, leopard or elephant?"

1st thing is that this isn't about me but, if I did wet my pants then I would expect the PH to use proper judgement and step in before one of the two of us got hurt.

Now, if you want to play who's got the bigger balls my friend I'll go toe to toe with you anyday.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Boss Kongoni, I did not mean to sound pissy at all and do not want any arguements either about this matter. There is no need to argue about this matter as it is strictly a fun and curious conversation for me. If you really want to see who has the bigger balls though, why don't you come hunt with me sometime

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
boss, no problem at all and would love to have you here sometime and chase some hogs. Forget about the bow and rifle and you will stab them instead. We will see if you can keep your hands from shaking and I will only give you two chances Great fun with the dogs. You are more than welcome anytime, and if you are ever in San Antonio, you are more than welcome stay with me. We can hunt the hogs anytime, so just let me know when you are ready.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Adam - I've killed a few boars with a knife so far and really enjoyed the challenge. I've mostly hunted behind a mixed pack of hounds & curs. The next time I'd like to work a good bulldog or maybe dogos.

Since I've done a few knife hunts. Let's take it up a notch. How about we catch & tie a few hawgs? No rifle, bow or knife...he,he.he. Just the bulldog & a piggin' string!(or duct tape/handcuffs)

BTW - you might want to see me eat BEFORE you invite me to your home!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boss,

Good idea to leave the bow behind.

After that post, if for some reason you could not pull it in front of Adam?

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote