New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scents Again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You are correct in peeing in a scrape. I have done it for years. Sometimes it has no effect at all, then I have seen deer tear it up. It has never scared any away. I pee out of my tree stand all the time without effect on any deer. Sorry ladies, tough for you to do! The ladies might try collecting urine when they are--ahem, in season, and pouring some in a scrape. I hear it will attract bears.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The very best scent I ever used was made by the Jon-e company. They made hand warmers that used lighter fluid or Coleman fuel. They are long out of business.
The lure was called Deer-coy and it would pull bucks and does in before I could get in my stand. The bucks would lick every drop I put on the trails and would tear up a scrape. The bottle had an eye dropper and I remember there were small chunks of something in the liquid. I had 5 does run into the scrape from 50 yds downwind and they fooled around in it for 20 minutes before leaving. Then a nice buck came in and went nuts before I shot him.
I buy doe urine and doe in heat urine from Necina in Ohio and it works very good. It is pure and has to kept in the fridge.
All the crap in the sporting goods store is just that; CRAP. I bought some this year and sprayed a bunch in a scrape and I had deer all around it, none even noticed the scent. A buck walked by within 10 yds and never turned his head.
Another good lure is pure fox urine. We sprayed it on a tree and bucks would come in and lick it. We watched fox play with does by jumping at them and the does were jumping around with the fox, they seem to get along very well.
Boy would I like to know how they made Deer-coy!
I wonder if anyone here knows how to research the patent office for this stuff?
Never, ever use anything with skunk scent in it. Deer hate it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--Your ergonomically designed machine will do 20 feet. Perhaps you are confused,the idea is to pee off the stand not into the stand from the ground. Maybe if you reduced the battery pack from two 12 volt batteries to just one you would get 10 feet which is overkill. If used on the road in a conventional restroom--so you could do it standing,that much pressure would create all kinds of splatter. Just clearing your shoes is all thats needed. So maybe one 6volt battery would provide 5 feet which is plenty and would lighten the load. 2 12volt batteries would be heavy. It would also reduce the shake function. It would shake at a lower speed and less vigorously. Would that be ok? Possibly need to be in the shake mode longer? Would you suggest it be made in various sizes and if so what size range would it be?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It has never scared any away. I pee out of my tree stand all the time without effect on any deer. Sorry ladies, tough for you to do!

You're darn right that's hard to do. Must admit out in the woods is the one time i'm smitten with penis envy. My hubby takes a leak whenever he wants to and i'm there limiting myself on coffee just so i can last two hours. Then we get back home where we only have one bathroom, and he gets first dibs on it because he has to take an urgent bowl movement. All plumbing is not created equal.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think the stuff I have is real. I bought it from a trapping catalog some time ago. Most likely it is diluted in some sort of oil. I will look at the bottle to see what its composition is.

Posts: 19157 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UUUMMM, this topic is becomming Scents Less!

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ann, The folks at BO swear by that Oil of Anise or Vanilla. derf

Who are the folks at BO?

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonquin is used in some perfumes and so is civit and, believe it or not, skunk. Real tonquin musk, however, is incredibly expensive.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hummmmm. Seems to me you got this started with your mention of peeing off your deerstand and how it must be tough for the ladies to do.

That scent this thread way off topic. But all things learned, no matter how ridiculous, can often give you the upper hand in intelligent conversations. For instance, next time someone asks "Does a BEAR s#it in the woods?".... You would normally be forced to answer "yes." But now, being an enlightened man, you can answer the question with your own question: "does a lady p!$$ in the woods?" They won't know and you won't either. But it sure will serve to change the subject.

Now...Scents Again. ....Anyone?

Plinker