New
Find
Notify
Tools

I nshot the small one
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the Big Game Hunting forum also...

Well, bow season is open here in Georgia and even though it is quite hot still, to the woods I went. Mainly intended to go as a scouting trip and just hang on the tree for a while. After stumbling around in a swampy, briar infested area for about an hour, (new piece of property I'm hunting) I selected a tree near some muscadine vines and a good bit of deer droppings.

Got about three 'pulls' up the tree in my stand and a branch I thought was from another tree, was actually on the tree I was climbing, so into my fanny pack for the saw. Sawed the limb and when it swung free of the tree, the poison oak vine attached to it, spun it around and -whack on the head! I was semi ready for this and it was a small branch so no real damage. I'm already about 30 lbs overweight, so my sweating index was off the chart!

Looked at my watch and about 45 minutes of light left. With all the noise and profuse sweating, I figured to see less than no deer.
12 minutes later and I heard the footsteps, a little sloshing in the wet areas, and three deer came into view. All three bucks, two 8's about 12-13 inches wide, nice symetry, and a 6 with one side of his rack still in velvet and bent over toward the other side of his rack, pretty small, I think 1.5 year old.

About 5 minutes later, two more bucks ease down the trail to my left, feeding along. One is a shooter for sure! He is a wide 8 with nice long eye guards and G-2's about 7-8 inches. The other is also an 8 with nice eye guards as well, but only about 14" inside and G-2's about 5 or 6 inches, and other tines much shorter than the other buck. Buck fever was back with a vengeance. I was a little surprised to see the bachelor groups still together, except the little 6 with the bent over half rack still in velvet (just that one half) all these deer were stripped out of velvet.

I noticed the wind in my face, which it almost had to be for these deer to come in, what with my perspiration off the charts. The largest buck was slowly feeding down the trail and was presenting a broadside shot at about 32 yards! I was busy missing getting my release clipped onto my 'release loop' (that might be gone for hunting and back to a rope release) and I looked back at the big boy and the other larger eight with him. They were both semi-alert and looking back toward the two smaller 8's and the wacky racked little 6.

I've only seen bucks fighting in Georgia about 8 or 9 times, but this was to be the next time as the two smaller 8's squared off and went at it!! I almost forgot that I was trying to execute a shot on the big boy, and I looked back to the spot where him and the next biggest eight were, and they were behind a couple of pin oaks. The big boy had been about 20 yards in front of the next biggest buck, so I focused on the lead buck as he cleared the trees. I judged him to be at about 35 yards, but I settled the 30 yard pin in low in the kill zone, as I was elevated (about 18 feet up the tree) and at that distance the deer seem to drop a little when you cut your arrow loose.

I fought off the fever, the tension of my bow at about 68 lbs acually helped settle my shaking, and I sent a clean shot his way... I watched him mule kick as I heard the impact, and watched him run into some thick stuff about thirty yards ahead, and heard him crash! Heart rate goes to about 190 at this point. I had seen the other deer run at the crack of arrow impact, and I had a sneaky feeling the biggest buck had somehow switched places with the 2nd biggest one, when I saw him run away from me. Their racks always look so good when they're going away from you though.......

Well, long story short, or as short as it is, when I got to the buck I had arrowed, it was in fact the #2. I was slightly disappointed, but it is still a good bow kill by my standards, green P&Y at 116 net. I feel somewhat consoled by the fact that I stayed focused and made a good quality shot, but those two bucks fighting really made the whole thing a memorable night for sure.

2 1/2 hours later and I have managed to drag him to a road I can get to with my truck. Shot him at about 7:50 pm, got back home (a 15 minute commute)at about 1:00 am, man did I sleep good after a hot shower!

In closing I guess I have to say I shot the small one, and he is not my biggest bowkill by a good bit, but he will be one I really remember!! I'm leaving for an antelope hunt this Friday, so I hope this is a good sign of a good hunt to come. I will try and get a shot at the other one some day to come.

Good hunting to all--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a great spot, there!

I leave for archery elk in CO tomorrow at 430 PM, so I could not even sleep last night! Maybe tonight I'll be tired enough to get some rest.

Good luck on the antelope, and good job on the deer!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Good Deer story sounded like you has some fun as well as a buck fever rush I hope you dont break out with poison oak. Maybe you will get the biggest one next time. thumb

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don G and Swede 44mag, thanks. I hope to track down the big one later this season, or maybe even next year as an even bigger one!

Good Luck Don, I have heard the elk are doing well in Colorado this year--catch some zzz's and best wishes!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great story, congratulations!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt to me! Heck, you've seen more bucks in one short hunt than I have seen in my hunting career!

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Great hunt and great job!! Sleep after a day like that is certainly blissful.

I had 2 doe each with twin fawns and a little fork under my stand tonight and the excitement is still there even though I had no intention of shooting any of them. That's what gets me up and out of a warm bed on cold mornings...deer are truely magic!!...and bow hunting makes it pure.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe season!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote