Find
Notify
Tools

Cross bows need info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I'm thinking about buying and getting into crossbow hunting. I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy and why. I'd like something that's a longer shooter. Any help please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I swear by the Excaliber line,, look up their web site, they also have a forum and the guys and gals are great help

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own an excaliber x-omag I've owned and hunted with it for about 4yrs they are a recurve design so there is no tuning required and because there is no pulleys you can change a
string in the field they are a little wider than the compond type . the accuracey is exellent at 30 yds i can't shoot 2 bolts at the same target or i'll wreck one i've killed both elk and moose with it I would recommend an
excaliber to anyone

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I personally think hunting with a crossbow is not "bowhunting" and that crossbows should not be allowed in archery only seasons. With todays compound high tech, whats the point? Unless you are handycapped you can shoot a compound during a archery only hunt. Now if you want to hunt a crossbow during a rifle season thats different.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I do not want to cause a problem here with my opinion, I just personally do not like crossbows being used during archery only seasons; esp. for elk. Here in Wyoming its legal and I see more and more crossbow hunters every year and the Fish and Game is shortening the seasons and dropping the number of lic issued because the success % is rising so fast because of all this high tech. I think bowhunting should mean bowhunting.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not many areas allow crossbows during the bow season. A well tuned bow will outshoot a crossbow anyway...the ballistics are better with a longer heavier arrow.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think compound bows should be allowed in archery season......after all, it goes against the spirit of bowhunting as it existed when the first archery seasons came to be.......compound bows have drastically increased success rates and have also drastically increased the number of people hunting during archery season and the number grows every year...... with compound bows having let-off up to 85% and mechanical releases being the norm......I just don't think it's fair to the animals or to the REAL bowhunters who use recurves and longbows as God intended!

Now, if they want to hunt with compounds during rifle season.....I guess that would be alright! Big Grin

Sounds silly doesn't it.....but the same arguments used against crossbows can be used against compounds....and, let's not forget, compounds are generally far more technologically advanced than crossbows......

I'd sure like to see proof that Wyoming has reduced tags directly as a result of the use of crossbows during archery season......but I won't hold my breath waiting.........

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are right. I used a crossbow during archery season in Ohio when I had shoulder and elbow problems. As soon as they healed, I went back to the bow. So I would say that anyone that has a physical problem should be able to use one in archery season. WV will not allow one in the woods at all even for severely handicapped people, which I think is wrong. They should make an exception and also allow them in rifle season.
I find that the crossbow is less efficient then a compound and does not shoot any farther. The arrows are too short and light for great penetration and lose momentum too fast. What they do is eliminate all the movement an archer has to do, just aim and shoot like a rifle.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There several good crossbow's out there. Depending on what you want to spend:

High End) Ten Points Crossbows, basically come with all you need. $1000-$1500

Middle) Excalibur, nice bows, really like the design without the complexity of the cams. $500-$750+

Low End) Barnett, bought one to see if I liked crossbow hunting. Great bow, no need for another. $250-$500 would recommend their more expensive bows.

To me it came down to a simple decision, many of the other bows had red dot scopes. I do not like this as Murphy tends to show up in the form of dead batteries in the stand. I opted for a nice, non illuminated scope.

PS: If you do not like Crossbows, keep it to yourself. They are now legal in many areas. Don't try and flame on a post about a now legal(in many states) and ethical means to harvest an animal. This is from someone who has shot recurves and compounds for over 20 years now.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who says crossbows only shoot light arrows? Although I use a compound a friend uses an Excalibur Exco-something that will shoot my 29" 2219s at 290 fps. Yes it was a little crazy to shoot that arrow of a crossbow but we had to settle a bet Smiler.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the short stroke of a crossbow that doesn't help things either. Don't get the impression that I hate crossbows I have one too. Any good compound shooter can outshoot and out perform a crossbow. Bfrshooter is right though the big advantage is lack of movement by the hunter during the shot. I've never used mine for hunting, I get the whillies just thinking about leaving one cocked while waiting for a deer....too scary for me.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem Calgary, you speak the truth. It just gets aggravating everytime someone asks a question about a CB, the thread turns into a debate on why some people don't want them in the Archery season. Where I live, and in many southern states it is a moot point as they are now legal. I like both traditional and crossbows, it is just less aggravating for me to hunt with a CB. Plus it is something new to try.

Crossbows probably need their own forum.

Good hunting and it sounds as though we may share a common interest, I am by no means a chef, but it is my second hobby.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a crossbow is a great idea for someone who is handicapped. Most people who shoot bow long enough eventually ruin something and then fit into the handicapped population.

the chef