THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    small game heads or bludgeons?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

small game heads or bludgeons?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I"m going to be hunting grouse and the occasional rabbit shortly. This will be during the day between my morning and evening deer hunt, so I will be using a 64 lb compound bow.
I have small game heads and bludgeons. What experience has anyone here had with either or both, esp on birds. I am afraid that if I shoot into a tree with the small game heads they might embed in a tree limb(happenned before with a fence!)
I am thinking game heads on the ground and bludgeons in the trees.
any thoughts?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
my friend and i shoot francolin and rabbits all the time. The best thing to use is a judo point ( the 1 with the wires sticking out ). Bludgeons made a huge messy whole in the bird and if u miss they carry on 4ever.

Judo points do get stuck in tree's but are very robust and can be pulled out with plyers..

good luck !

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"ve seen judo points, they"re not that different from game heads. It"s not the actual pulling them out that worries me, it"s getting 20 feet up the tree to do it!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
ha ha.. ya.. well if judo points and game heads r similar then i recomend the game heads.. bludeons r only good 4 hurting naughty baboons and shooting elephants.. + they damage your arrow

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bludgeons don"t shoot as well either.
Game heads seem to shoot(and group) slightly lower than feild points (bigger frontal surface/slows down quicker) but bludgeons have a mind of their own.
good shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judo points are very good. I don't think you will have a problem with them at all.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote